Daves new school holden shambles

Muncie

Shit I'd forgotten about but rate are fitting extra heavy duty sway bar links (HSV) they aren't expensive but really crisp up stock suspension if you enjoy carving up corners a bit.

No rubber just big nuggety ball joints.

Will think about some new bushes this year if the warrant man says any are buggered.

Screenshot_20210101-173337_Trade Me.jpg

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got my head around some more advanced (slightly) tuning stuff, Reflashed an enhanced Bin into the ecu tonight, effectively a firmware update to allow a bit more freedom with tuning. It also has some tweaks.

I inspected it in Tunerpro before loading has spark maps for 98 octane more line pressure in transmission and a bit leaner fuel which im all about!

Quick test drive and gotta say it seems a bit more refined and awake trans behaves a bit more civilized when cruising, but is nice and snappy when giving it berrys not like a shift kit but just generally nicer.

Will run it to work for few days and see if anything unusual happens. Got the stock ecu in boot now and the laptop should it go tits up.

No pushing it too hard till its had a service shes done 300,000+ k's now.

Hopefully it's even better on gas doing 9.3l/100 at moment which isn't bad its better than my vw golf could manage.

• Like 1

1000k's on and its definitely way better! After the reflash it was definately smoother but after the ECU did its thing it wants to get up and boogie too all this has been on 91 octane.

Ive switched over to 98 octane now even with EGR Disabled economy has improved to 9.1l/100 and appears to still be dropping, this is mixed open road and city driving (real life) the big girl is slowly clawing its way back into the preferred family wagon.

Needs a diff swap though as its 1600rpm at 100k is just a bit unnecessary and dulls performance and im running 245/40/19's as well to further mess the gearing up.

Still feels like progress though without it being a full on project.

• Like 4

Sweet 2nd tank of 98 in it now economy has settled down at 8.8 l/100. Why holden thought these old dinosaur engines needed so much fuel and conservative timing is beyond me.

It has a lean cruise mode thats not activated yet too, need to do some reading about that and see if it can be turned on.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

/or it's probably something really reasonable like emissions requirements

I had a yarn to a guy who tuned a lot of LS powered commodores a few years ago, he said some of the rich running especially when cold was to do with emissions ie when you start when cold, the timing is retarded and the mixture is quite rich to get the cats warmed up as quickly as possible 

Also tuning to run lean causes increases in other emissions (NOx) which isn't great for the environment and a normal catalytic converter cant get rid of it 

• Like 1

It's interesting seeing just how bad emissions can get when running lean to save fuel.

I'll see if I can find the 1980's Bosch EFI technical book that has all the figures. Hopefully it hasn't been thrown out yet.

/This is getting off topic now.

1 hour ago, ajg193 said:

It's interesting seeing just how bad emissions can get when running lean to save fuel.

I'll see if I can find the 1980's Bosch EFI technical book that has all the figures. Hopefully it hasn't been thrown out yet.

/This is getting off topic now.

Yeah thats relevant, im basically doing the electronic equivalent of tuning by ear at moment..... small changes then data logging to check knock and anything else untoward going on.

• 3 weeks later...

Flashed a new map in this morning, more timing again and more line pressure in trans.

Quick spin around block trans is good holds a bit longer with foot down and is pretty snappy between gears, interestingly the induction noise is quite different bit of a growl to it now.

There is a high idle though so will need to see whats causing that.

Stoked as previously this map didn't work the car would try to start but a few things were obviously not quite right.

More running to see what the fuel consumption is like in normal use.

13 minutes ago, Positive Ape said:

That's pretty impressive fuel consumption (coming from a Falcon owner). What are the factory figures?

Yup i reckon i can still eek a bit more out of it too. Its settled at 8.8l/100 now though it goes does go out window towing trailer to around 10l/100

Factory supposed to be around 12-13l I've actually not even got it that bad towing a massive trailer in any of the 3 ive owned even the supercharged one.

Ive always found the 3.8 pretty good for a big ish engine. Im getting the good mileage without having to baby it too which is useful as i go through at least 2 tanks a week.

Ended up rolling back the last re-flash as it had a flat spot i wasn't happy with.

Ive taken to downloading other people's tried an tested BIN files running them for a few days.

Now I'll start copying tables from the maps ive tested. Eg: ive got a file that the engine performs perfectly but the trans shifts are a bit doughy so I'll pull that trans tables from another file that i like and merge the 2 to make a new BIN file.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Ive regretted selling my supercharged VX for ages now....... only one thing for it!

This time with my knowledge of tuning the factory fitted gear so will swap my VY PCM over to this allowing on the fly tuning over USB.

Screenshot_20210419-183600_Trade Me.jpg

• Like 4

Will look to sling this in car in near future.

If i can do some overtime be great to get an intercooler plate on it before it goes in hole if not will add some water/alcohol injection.

My previous commy would absolutely rip shit down the 1/4 for the first 200m then heat soak would hit and probably 200c inlet air Temps.

Im tempted to try a carburetor with alcohol inline after the airflow meter to chill the supercharger itself surely that would also help it live longer even as an interim measure.

Screenshot_20210419-201618_Trade Me.jpg

you'll probablly run into issues running the vy pcm on the l67, the vy pcm is pinned diffferently to the l67 pcm and the loom is different the l67 has the bypass valve control, as well as the l67 ecu has a larger maf table(and other boost related control), the NA vy pcm will likely max out its maf table (have had issues before with people running NA pcms on boosted v6s) if you can find one would be better off getting an NVRAM for the L67 pcm which enables live tuning on the memcal based ecu.

@vk327 will have a good look at the pcm and looms when i get them side my side probably going to pick up another ecotec to raid parts from so i can keep the car mobile. 

Pcmhacking.net has a few builds with l67's on vy PCM'S so will message those people and see how they addressed the above issues. If its to shit I'll consider a Haltec or something.

Long game plan is to get a turbo on this too.