Daves new school holden shambles

Muncie

Well fuck me ive owned this almost a year true to Muncie ownership its spent a good chunk of that wof regd and parked up with weeds growing up around it.....

So it just out of the blue thru up a battery light and all the other warning lights at same time just after fitting the new dash and would work then die on and off at random.

The cause after much diagnosis was a dead alternator voltage Reg.

Only genuine parts would do! And were surprisingly hard to find.

15809361188177030341598241373612.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Treated myself to some more wheels gone for 19's this time. Slowly turning into a donk no intention to lower it its awesome never snags on anything. 

I was also energetic enough to run the buff over it which has made quite presentable again.

20201003_180908.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Been having a right bastard of a time lately tracking down an electrical gremlin. 

Pulled into drive and it just turned off last friday after driving from Auckland back to Huntly and wouldn't restart, after 6 attempts it finally threw a check engine code for the crank angle sensor which after a mad panic i got my hands on and fitted (which is behind the harmonic balancer) and nothing wouldn't start.

Called a mate whose a decent mechanic directed me to the ignition module which i removed plug blew out with air and refitted finally it ran! But like utter shit till warm, these aren't as commonly available in nz nor particularly cheap.

Limped to and from work for a week letting it warm up first new module has arrived been fitted and seems good thank fuck for that!

• Like 3

Fuck me this thing has electrical gremlins that right screwed my weekend. After fitting a brand new ignition module the same issues started coming back so started checking earths all were loose or screwed to paint so no fucking good...... more or less had the wiring loom out looking for broken wires. Put it all back in all back it alternator died fitted a new one hurray it starts and runs mint! Then died. Out of options and parts and no fault codes i jammed the second hand coil pack in i had bought and it ran mint all day, this morning its spitting and shitty till warm then runs perfect.

Time to get some bloke in......

Picture 2.jpg

Also discovered it has about 4mm of crank end float. Thought maybe the crank trigger disc on Harmonic balancer was pushing forward and not getting picked up by sensor. 

Did some testing with laptop and data logging to see if that was the issue.... nope 

• Haha 1

Oh hey, 

I had a mission on a Ford territory a while ago, with a pile of fault codes.... It ended up being an intermittent voltage drop across the relay which fed the ecu.. Luckily the electric window relay was interchangeable.. 

Something to consider.. 

31 minutes ago, mjrstar said:

Oh hey, 

I had a mission on a Ford territory a while ago, with a pile of fault codes.... It ended up being an intermittent voltage drop across the relay which fed the ecu.. Luckily the electric window relay was interchangeable.. 

Something to consider.. 

Haha can ensure all the relays got shuffled chasing faults and the fluke got a workout.

• 1 month later...

Just fitted a second hand ecu which ive managed to clone from original one so all securty is intact. Flashing a tune into these is actually a piece of cake and theres plenty to try online. 

Once ive got the electric issues nailed down ive got a hot tune I'll try.

I've split out my ECU shenanigans into a separate thread as its a project in its own right.

• 2 weeks later...

Did some more digging in tunerpro to trace this cold start problem where it starts mint for 30 seconds then settles to a horrific missing coughing barely running idle. 

When it starts the engine speed is perfect 750rpm then the engine speed graph jumps around like crazy 100-3500rpm (it actually stays at 600rpm while doing this) 

Now rolling back 3-4 months the crank angle sensor died and i replaced it with the only new one i could find at an hours notice, it wasnt genuine nor cheap but my car has to get me to work 1100ks a week so in it went and it ran ok for about 2 weeks, then the ignition module died i fitted a genuine one that lasted 3 days...

I had a gutsfull of throwing new parts at it and threw a second hand ignition pack off a VR at it which has been sweet with the cold start issue been the only fault remaining.

Tl/dr

if you own an ecotec and the idle is slightly trembling replace your crank angle and cam sync sensor now with genuine parts to prevent breaking down and buggering your other electronics.

I have all the tools now pm me as they'll just gather dust otherwise happy to loan out to OS'ers.

Oh and @vk327 has been a legend helping me out with this it would be a burnt out wreck on lawn without his advice.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

This morning i fitted the new genuine crank angle sensor, coincidentally it was $30 cheaper then the non genuine one i had fitted months ago. I've actually taken a step by step on how to fit one should anyone find that interesting let me know I'll write it up.

Anyway the 4 month old sensor, you see its starting to come apart and visibly the channel the trigger wheels run through had deformed (P.O.S) 

IMG_31122020_123230_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Sad 1

@vk327 Yep it fired up perfectly with the AC on as soon as it was fitted up. For some reason the air conditioning completely fucked with it previously youd hear the pump click in then the engine would instantly die.

So far so good. Lesson learned even in a pinch dont fuck around with non genuine sensors. I should know better as i used to be NZ's agent for Delphi gear its top notch.

• Like 1

Bedding in procedure done as per installation instructions can tentatively say i think these are better than the brembos i had on the calais previously.

Slipped a cheeky 3mm spacer in as the whiskers on the tyres make a slight fizzing sound on the struts when im giving it beans into corners I'll pull them out once those wear off.

Electrical bullshit still gone, thank fuck for that I'd forgotten how nice it is not having to warm it up before going anywhere.

• Like 3