Daves new school holden shambles

Muncie

My supercharged vx used to go into a weird limp mode before i chipped it where it would ping like a bastard at any load.

It didn't die even after turning the boost up with 340000ks on it, it overheated a few times because of a weeping alloy cover i fed it stop leak and just topped it up with water till it eventually stopped leaking.

Looking forward to lazy easy motoring again been doing it hard in a Vw golf for 9 months too much power and expensive wheels and tyres have kept me stressed torque steering around pot holes.

• Like 1

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yea tons and tons of vally gaskets they are shit. Remember to use 3 bond in the corners with the new gaskets or they leak like fuck. 

The other big thing I remember is bleeding the supercharged v6 after cooling system work is a must. 

3 Bleed points in all. They arn't actually all that hard to bleed but it's important otherwise air lock. 

They cant bleed if you just use the cap. 

1 minute ago, Muncie said:

This'll be the 3rd Commodore ive bought with a "blown head gasket" for fuck all this one had a blocked thermostat the others had perished heater taps the people put water back in but didnt bleed them so they would get hot.

suppercharged? 

• 2 weeks later...

Removed 2 rooted engine mounts got new ones from Mace Engineering for 90 ozzy dollars and achieved a Wof today.

Boom! Legal for under a grand.

Engines sweet had a weepy corroded thermostat housing which leaked into the valley of engine and blocked thermostat All sorted for nothing, it was able to drain itself without leaving a puddle though hence old owner didnt notice it till it got hot I'd guess.

20190223_142600.jpg

20190223_142548.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Had been driving this daily for a while and out of blue it overheated on me just as i was heading in to work, confused as it shot up really fast i banged on the AC for extra fans and it cooled off.  

I thought I'd found the leak from bottom rad hose as it was super squished i trimmed it a bit refitted, still leaking...... fuck! climbed up top then i saw it the passthru on the radiator tank for the trans cooler the nut had wound itself off, ive nipped it off and leak is gone. 

Handy tip to save money on coolant a few drops of food coloring in your radiator makes leaks really obvious as it leaves little trails when it dries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

@flyingbrick im pretty sure they suck air in and over time get a big enough bubble to cause overheating. The radiators function perfectly fine right up till the water level gets lower than the water pump haha. 

Im buying an ALDL diagnostic lead so i can get into the ecu trans and body modules like i do with my Vw.

• Like 1

Wheels acquired i had it jacked up when the dude dropped them off,

I reemed the centres out as they arent a direct bolt on but close enough it can be done at home.

Going from 205's to 245's all round has made it feel utterly planted too.

20190317_181836.jpg

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Since this has been fitted with VE wheels the speedo has been out by miles..... like 14ks out at 100 ive come close to getting a ticket so decided to sort it.

The dash has always flickered and rattled so i decided to do a level 1 to level 3 dash upgrade and buying a license to reflash the body modules. This was fun as you can add the Hsv startup GIF and a cystom off message  currently the "Blue whale" after the nickname it got from getting airborne chasing my work colleague in his sports car thing. Apparently Breaching is what my car does over undulations.

So now i can plug in just like my VW and change shit in the BCM and ECU

Screenshot_20190925-195305_Trade Me.jpg

• Like 2