Random slightly cool stuff you built but not worth its own thread, thread

h4nd

Tried some other things. One was a tin can with steel wool in it and a bunch of holes. I managed to get the gel to roar in this set up, but boil time was still about 20mins, and it was hard to extinguish and carrying two things you may as well use an alcohol stove.

Seems I got it right the first time, I tried a pot stand that sits on top of the tin, but it blocked too much air and increased boil time by 3-4 mins. Modified my original shield to support the mug better and put a few holes around the bottom.

There's a few ways I could force feed it some air, but it's just extra complexity and weight for minimal gains, the tin itself doesn't promote it either. I have an idea about having 2 lids and some drilled tubing like a carb emulsion tube to get oxygen inside the can but eh maybe.

As a comparison, an esbit tablet (solid hexamine fuel) boils 500ml in 8-9 minutes. It leaves some gack residue on the bottom of the pot though, however easy and reliable. I might see if I can find a clean burning firelighter for cheaper. Also it's faster if you break the tablet in half for more surface area

The price is right on these cans, but in 20mins I can have cooked and eaten.

Note to add- some forests around the world have fairly strict rules on camp stoves and gel fuel is allowed

Also a 100g gas canister will boil about 10l for $6 so may as well use that

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, tortron said:

Tried some other things. One was a tin can with steel wool in it and a bunch of holes. I managed to get the gel to roar in this set up, but boil time was still about 20mins, and it was hard to extinguish and carrying two things you may as well use an alcohol stove.

Seems I got it right the first time, I tried a pot stand that sits on top of the tin, but it blocked too much air and increased boil time by 3-4 mins. Modified my original shield to support the mug better and put a few holes around the bottom.

There's a few ways I could force feed it some air, but it's just extra complexity and weight for minimal gains, the tin itself doesn't promote it either. I have an idea about having 2 lids and some drilled tubing like a carb emulsion tube to get oxygen inside the can but eh maybe.

As a comparison, an esbit tablet (solid hexamine fuel) boils 500ml in 8-9 minutes. It leaves some gack residue on the bottom of the pot though, however easy and reliable. I might see if I can find a clean burning firelighter for cheaper. Also it's faster if you break the tablet in half for more surface area

The price is right on these cans, but in 20mins I can have cooked and eaten.

Note to add- some forests around the world have fairly strict rules on camp stoves and gel fuel is allowed

Also a 100g gas canister will boil about 10l for $6 so may as well use that

https://www.gearshop.co.nz/products/jetboil-micromo-cooking-system?variant=29523955286114&currency=NZD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAjw2uf2BRBpEiwA31VZjxNWWOzPDchYBoT78rTMf3xuWrTjfx5RqIjrt58LbRz92Lf6rA69XRoCbc8QAvD_BwE I have one of these, 12L /100g and boils 500mL in 2 mins. I was super cynical until a guy next to me set up, cooked, ate and cleaned up before I'd even boiled with my meths burner. 

• Like 2

On 06/06/2020 at 09:32, Willdat? said:

Cool. It looks like 80% of the benefit is using a heat-sink in the base in reverse to couple the flame heat into the liquid, and also insulating the sides.

I wonder if it'd be worth passing the exhaust up the side a bit, too

20200614_125918.thumb.jpg.48b913c1f49fd6f84c3fae1de7f9bb9a.jpg

Or something like this:

https://www.wired.com/2014/07/a-jet-engineer-designs-a-saucepan-that-heats-up-super-fast/

Flare-From-%C2%A349.99.jpg

Maybe even with a shroud up around the gas to keep it in to the sides of the pot, during the windy.

Step one, glue 486 heatsink to bottom of pot?

• Like 1

MSR make/made these copper heat exchangers

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNGpQlKxDl_LWnu_mObmd

The problem being it's actually quite a niche market. Most hikers won't hike long enough to get the fuel benefit of carrying it. Easier to carry an extra boils worth of fuel. Takes a while for the weight to pay itself off.

Most useful when you are melting a shit tonne of snow for water, so the market is extended mountain climbing for groups

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...