Random slightly cool stuff you built but not worth its own thread, thread

h4nd

10 hours ago, Kimjon said:

My mig welder has been misbehaving lately. I figured out the issue and did this fix.

Resized_20200427_110545.jpeg.00fcfac92722179218bfd02dfd56b07f.jpeg

Bolt head is pulling out of the base, cheap shit plastic!

Resized_20200427_113739.jpeg.239460b63875b402e8ae373c33f2651b.jpeg

Resized_20200427_114849.jpeg.3ff135bce4982b6c1d968ea470b955c9.jpeg

Luckily I have a tig, so was able to weld this bolt to a bit of metal I turned up on the lathe.

It's done the trick, but it's still being a bitch and acting up. The 0.6mm wire just doesn't seem to work in this welder. Weird, as I used to run it without issues. Maybe cheap brand? Anyways once lockdown is down I'll go back to 0.8mm.

Probably the liner needs replacing.

If it came with a roll of gasless wire it may be a bit big ID for 0.6 to start with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/04/2020 at 08:27, azzurro said:

Probably the liner needs replacing.

If it came with a roll of gasless wire it may be a bit big ID for 0.6 to start with.

Do liner sizes change? I had no idea. My welder is terrible on .6, if the wire gets slightly stuck in the nozzle it starts to bird nest. I fitted a new liner a while back,  maybe I didn't get it sitting close enough to the wheels.  Hmn 

On 14/05/2020 at 20:10, sheepers said:

made some mods to my sandblaster and its fucking cash.

49893446132_196307862d_b.jpg

Whoah, this interests me greatly. More deets please.

Funnel attachment, did you fit metal tube thru roof to clamp to? and did you just rotate the pickup on the gun? My gun's not like that, fixed suction tube underneath. Might look at new gun and do this conversion, seems to make so much sense and will remove much frustration, hopefully...

Also make it super easy to swap between blasting media types...

So,  yes the gun originally had the sand fed in the bottom but it was easy to take the front it and flip it up the other way.

I bought a large funnel of the tard then when it turned up I machined the head of a big bolt to the right size so I could clamp the funnel to the head and I drilled a 13mm hole down the guts of it to let the sand through. 

The bolt just sticks through a hole in the top  of the cab and the hose clamped from underneath holds it in place. 

I used it for half a day blasting all the headlight brackets and whatnot and it works mint.  The things that let ir down were bits of shit in the sand blocking the nozzle and the ever present nemesis of all sandblasters, water in the air. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, flyingbrick said:

Do liner sizes change? I had no idea. My welder is terrible on .6, if the wire gets slightly stuck in the nozzle it starts to bird nest. I fitted a new liner a while back,  maybe I didn't get it sitting close enough to the wheels.  Hmn 

yeah, and they get effectively larger as they wear as well. Gasless wire has that rough as coating on it (which when burns creates a gas shield) so can both wear liners quick and cover them in gack as well.

This site (first one on my goog) has 4 diameters:

https://www.arcweld.co.nz/itemdetails/Binzel-(Style)-Liner/3623.aspx

• Thanks 1

If its birdnesting like that it could be tension on the roller too high as well.

Its supposed to slip on the wire if you pinch it in your fingers as it pushes out the end. 

As the liner gets dirty from use it gets sticky so it might be cranked tight to push through, but on occasion of a new one need everthing readjusting again. 

More knobs to twiddle!

• Like 1

Looks like a flash as goped house to me!

21 hours ago, Kimjon said:

Kids now have a matching tiny house, that they'll never use (along with all the other shit I've made them that they never use). Finally finished it today.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2