Random slightly cool stuff you built but not worth its own thread, thread

h4nd

1 hour ago, kyteler said:

It's cool man but I reckon you could set the horizontals up so it sits above the towball that way you could tow a trailer as well as have that on, for extra load carrying awesomeness! 

Like this

__/¯¯

Also put some gussets under the section below the mesh platform.

Also also, if you laid the mesh on top and ran the slide ins through the centre of the box you could weld some angle on the bottom that you stow two lengths of smaller box that you could use as a ramp for pushing them up.

Some good thoughts there but if its scraping with just the rack on then to get it high enough to have a trailer on and it not hit the rack it would be about the height of the bottom of the tail light, fouling the rear door when opening. Also welding them as so ___,------- is not as strong as a straight piece of box section and while it may not make much of a difference its piece of mind when thats all thats holding your bike there.

The idea behind having the mesh in the bottom is that it creates a handy little place to store smelly dirty things that you dont want in your truck eg petrol, firewood, oil and the box section acts as a lip allowing for shit tying down efforts to said items. Also having the horiziontals underneath as you can see they go under where the wheels of the bike go so the weight is not actually resting on the mesh frame but on the horiziontals. Having the horiziontals running through the box section would be weaker as the weight is no longer being supported by the steel it is supported by the weld. 

All this is just my opinion I tried to make it as strong as possible and engineer it in a way so the weight is supported by steel not welds. Would rather is went overkill and could carry heaps of weight then it break because it was too hard to lift your bikes front wheel. I beleive he is using a piece of wood as a ramp atm.

Cheers

• Like 6

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Geophy said:

Also welding them as so ___,------- is not as strong as a straight piece of box section

OMS did mention gussets between lower and upper horizontals.

No, you're not. 

I can put a doodle together of what I mean, there's no way you should break it if it's how it is in my head and it shouldn't be any less strong than it it now and would potentially be stronger.  It would be no different than running a goose-neck on a trailer except you could add a gusset for extra reinforcement.

• 3 weeks later...