Random slightly cool stuff you built but not worth its own thread, thread

h4nd

Just used thermosyphon. Tried a pump but it cycled thru too fast to heat the water

Just checking as mine doesn't thermosyphon properly.

I think my pipe angles are wrong, not enough drop. maybe too small a pipe too

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine had 0 to 10mm max fall from spa pool to hot outlet on the wetback and rather hoki pipework made from hansen farm pipe fittings. I did add a ball valve type tap on the cold side with it just cracked open as a restrictor as it kept trying to push the hot water back down the cold pipe

• 5 weeks later...

Having a go at making my own kitchen knife. 1095 Carbon Steel. Also building a mini forge for the heat treat out of a rubbish bin.

Should be interesting!

27741369795_a7ef78dee1_c.jpg

I've been thinking bout having a go at this to. Did ya just start with a blank say 3mm wide?

You should ask around for "gauge plate" offcuts. It's a nice ground constant thickness and can be hardened easily.

We use quite a bit of gauge plate at work so was thinking that could be a go. But was thinking some tooling stainless could be better?

I've been thinking bout having a go at this to. Did ya just start with a blank say 3mm wide?

Yeah bought a couple of 2" x 18" x 1/8" (about 3mm thick) flats of 1095 steel from the US (Damned if I could find it here!). Carved out the knife with a hacksaw and a file :)

Made a beveling jig similar to the ones you can find on YouTube

Current situation:

13450201_10153951203646263_8049628265481

• Like 4

We use quite a bit of gauge plate at work so was thinking that could be a go. But was thinking some tooling stainless could be better?

Stainless can be a bit of a bitch to have heat treated. If you can find someone who can heat treat 440C thats what they recommend to start with. Remember that the steel you use must be able to hardened in order for it to take a decent edge. O1 tool steel, 1070 or 1084 are usually the ones they recommend for beginners - simple carbon steels. The 1095 i'm using is a bit less forgiving they reckon.

Highly recommend looking up Walter Sorrells and Gough Customs on youtube and watching some vids.

Yeah. Gauge plate is 01 tool steel.

I can tell you that after a bit of heat it ends up EXTREMELY hard. (Don't get components laser cut out of gauge plate and then expect to file up the edges)

Nice. O1 is easy to treat. Heat up til its non magnetic, dunk it in warm oil :)

• Like 1

And while we're at it. Here is the Mini "Trash Can" forge being cast. The lining is just Sand and Plaster of Paris with an 80mm PVC pipe in the centre to create the chamber. The old copper pipe to provide an entry for the blowtorch is placed on a slight angle to have the flame pointing slightly towards the rear to reduce the amount of flame coming out the front.

27483998850_0c53a70675_c.jpg

Shit that looks good!!!

Cheers! Started working on the other side but ran out of 120 grit tonight. 10 sheets burned through pretty quick! Thankfully the hard work is done by then and the 240 then 400 don't take nearly as much :)

So then is it heat treatment time? So was that just

File the bevel on then remove the file marks with the paper? What oil you useing for heat treatment?

Yeah, I should have followed up the bastard cut and second cut filing with a smooth cut file. Some of these file marks are a bit of a pain to remove even with 120 grit. once I've finished it to a reasonable standard, i'll heat treat after I've built the burner for my mini forge. Plan is either Canola or Peanut oil - whichever is cheapest that I can buya couple of litres in bulk. Then back to sanding up to 800 grit for a nice satin finish. Then its handle time, followed by sharpening and murders - I mean slicing onions. I may acid etch the blade with ferric chloride or hot vinegar before I put the handle on though. At least help a bit with corrosion resistance being carbon steel. 

Built a transportable bar a few years back, has an 800w inverter for lights and a car stereo with marine  speakers running off a car battery.

Set up with a solar charge controller, just needs a panel on the roof.

Haven't got many good photos of it but I'll try get some soonish, it's in storage not getting much use

http://s12787.photobucket.com/user/bluemike86/library/Wheelie%20Bar

Roof folds down for "easy" transport (it's pretty damn heavy)

Thinking of selling it if anyone is interested?

• Like 2

On the home straight of sanding now. One side done up to 600 grit, the other up to 120. 

27673777660_a037deb7a6_c.jpg

Next up will be heat treatment. Still yet to build the legs for the mini forge, but the burner is now complete - also visible in the above pic. The non burny end of the burner has the following assembly - pretty much just a valve and a couple of brass bits fitted/brazed together to attach a standard BBQ hose and fit it to the 15mm steel pipe. Have a couple of oriface options with a 0.8mm and 1.0mm option. Can just buy more caps and have different sized holes drilled if necessary :)

At the end of the day its just an oversized Bunsen Burner - hopefully enough to heat the forge up to the 800 degrees I need toe knife to reach before dunking it in oil :D

27339645983_13d74edca8_c.jpg

• Like 7