Yamaha QT50

MichaelJFox

Alright!

I haven't collected this, but I will be tomorrow.

Hasn't run in awhile, been told it has good spark with low compression so it won't run properly.

Pretty excited to have something to tinker with, I guess I should pull it apart and check the rings etc first?

Pic for thread;

l7TDqe5.png

Cheers!

• Like 1

Have I got the right idea about the compression? Just whip the head off and see whats going on?

yeah probably means worn loose-ish rings? hopefully its not all slappy but a rebore is pretty cheap. you can get top end  big bore kits for them pretty easy too.

clean the carb first - dunno if theyre points or CDI but check points if it has them. Carb + points will be most of your starting issues sorted

• Like 1

Yeah the battery works as a regulator, no battery + high revs = dead bulbs.

Think I've got a headlight and some other QT bits here somewhere that might be of use to you?

Will check at some point to see if they are still down the back of one of my sheds or if they did go to scrap years ago.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

shouldnt have any issue running premix 

UNLESS, it has oil fed main bearings, some bikes ive had in the past have an oil injector into a seal bearing and without the pump they would run the bearing. 

its unlikely this has anything like that, but pay to just check. 

also with premix, it may want a slightly larger jet in order to get the same amount of fuel in as the oil takes up some space and makes the fuel mix a little thicker, plug chops can lead you to success 

• 9 months later...