ECU connections to Toyota EFI Checker

Pterodactyl

Hi Everyone

I want to connect the ECU in my car to the old EFI Checker I found on Ebay. According to all the manuals, the plugs should match but they don't. The ECU serial number doesn't seem to show up on google or anywhere else yet.

It would be great if I could find some more plugs and make an adaptor lead. Does anyone know here I could get some plugs like these?

There are some photos here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskuFUhzr

The car is a 1980 Celica XX, MA45, with M-EU engine.

I'd really appreciate some new info info on this. 

Cheers!

I want to connect the EFI Checker to the ECU. (My car run's pretty well but I've had some intermittent problems.)

The EFI checker is a Toyota device that you put into the circuit - between the ECU and the rest of the car. You would normally unplug the ECU and plug the ECU cable into the checker and plug the checker cable into the ECU and then run the car to check different things.

The checker can tell you a few things about the signals coming in from the various engine sensors. It would be quite useful because this ECU was one of he first and it doesn't give any error codes or any other help in diagnosing problems.

Unfortunately I can't hook it up because the plugs are different, and the pin configuration is different too. I'm not sure why it doesn't match what is shown in the Toyota manuals. I'd like to know if the ECU I have is unusual or from a different car.

Yeah I know all that, '80s Toyota EFI is my bread and butter. The ECUs are as basic as shit. Ditch that ECU checker and get a scope on there if you think it's a sensor issue. It'll tell you so much more about what's happening. That ECU checker doesn't give you much more than some lights to tell you there's a signal. You have no way of telling whether that signal is correct with that tool.

• Like 1

Yeah I don't have a scope but I'm interested in the EFI checker anyway - I like it for the same silly reasons that I like my old car - so I still want to get that happening somehow.

I'm going to start a new thread where we can talk about the car problem just in case anyone else wants to add anything to this one.

Try this number 89561-30080.

Could not find any Celica or Supra (MA45) built in 1980 that was efi other than the US ones.

As far as I can tell the JDM EFI version was only fitted to the Crown.

I would suggest it was a conversion and this could be at the heart of your intermittent problems.

Just in case here are the numbers for the US spec M-EU ECU's, the pin placements are most likely the same.

89561-14040

89561-14060

89561-22020

89561-22040

You may also find that the ECU is to old for the checker to check.

Hi Frosty and greatestben

I think these cars came to NZ as 2nd hand imports that were originally built for the Japanese market. I have only seen a couple on trademe and they were the same as mine from what I could tell, but on eBay the most similar model described has a bigger engine.

I think the manufacturers must try out variations and prototypes of the early models and sell them within their local markets (there might some that don't get developed any further than that). The factory issue parts could easily be from a Crown or other car.

Thanks for looking into it Frosty, I'll see what I can find out with those serial numbers numbers you've posted.

I had a EFI ma45, the injection is super basic and doesn't really cross over well to later Toyota EFI at all. That "checker" won't get you anywhere at all in afraid. You will be running the gauntlet alone to figure this thing out.

I scoped all mine and got it going, pretty sure it has analog control of some sort going on. I then scrapped it for the T series diff and w50, rust bucket it was.

• Like 1

Everybody seems to agree about using a scope but I just wanted to point out that this EFI checker and this car are from the same year. (I know I'm going start annoying people if I keep banging on about this pointless and inferior piece of totally awesome retro techware.)

The manual for the checker refers to the 4M-E engine and the MA46 model, not the ME-U and the MA45. My Toyota workshop manuals are also for the 4M-E engine and MA46 and they have instructions for using this EFI checker.

Apart from the bore size, I don't know how different those 2 engines are. They seem very similar. The injection system looks identical to my ignorant eye. The same goes for MA45 v MA46 car models.

Of course, I started this because the ECU has a different serial number and a different plug so clearly there ARE some differences.

BTW How do you put photos into your posts? It tells me i'm not allowed.