jackeo21's 1983 Mitsubishi Mirage Panther II - Discussion

jackeo21

I thought of black but I think silver suits the car a little bit better. Might go slightly darker..?

Those hood scoops must be very hard to come by! I'll keep my eyes out for one nonetheless. I think I'd like to find a cleaner bonnet before I go sticking things on it :-D  I actually need quite a few parts...

I thought of black but I think silver suits the car a little bit better. Might go slightly darker..?

Those hood scoops must be very hard to come by! I'll keep my eyes out for one nonetheless.

Silver would be a lot easier - I think black shows imperfections more and you'd have to live with a mismatching engine bay etc.

They make generic hood scoops of similar shape to the Colt Turbo ones. If you could make up some louvres somehow to sit in front of the recessed mesh, nobody would know the difference. ;)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/decals-stickers/other/auction-1034360880.htm

or cheaper from multiple sellers on Australian Ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Silver-Car-decorative-Air-Flow-Intake-Scoop-Turbo-Bonnet-Vent-Cover-hood-/281875820512?hash=item41a11bafe0:g:X9cAAOSw8-tWYk6i

• Like 1

Silver would be a lot easier - I think black shows imperfections more and you'd have to live with a mismatching engine bay etc.

They make generic hood scoops of similar shape to the Colt Turbo ones. If you could make up some louvres somehow to sit in front of the recessed mesh, nobody would know the difference. ;)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/decals-stickers/other/auction-1034360880.htm

or cheaper from multiple sellers on Australian Ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Silver-Car-decorative-Air-Flow-Intake-Scoop-Turbo-Bonnet-Vent-Cover-hood-/281875820512?hash=item41a11bafe0:g:X9cAAOSw8-tWYk6i

Didn't Todds fit the same (or very similar) scoop to the turbo Tredia and Cordia?

18227397461_d541e4449c_n.jpg

Must be very few of the Mirage Panthers left in original unmolested condition, would be cool to see it left standard.

• Like 2

Didn't Todds fit the same (or very similar) scoop to the turbo Tredia and Cordia?

18227397461_d541e4449c_n.jpg

Must be very few of the Mirage Panthers left in original unmolested condition, would be cool to see it left standard.

Yeah i'm with you on the keeping it standard thing! I kinda think its a bit tacky also putting a turbo scoop on a non turbo car, even if the scoop was pretty much cosmetic on the turbo ones anyway haha!
  • Like 1

I think ill just keep it as close to original as possible. I think it would bother me having a scoop on there, knowing me I'd install it on a slight angle  :-D  

The only other mirage panther I have ever seen in the same model is the black one in the advert. I wonder how many panthers were ever produced...

• Like 1

Don't cut the dash!

Fit an old radio in the original hole and put a modern one elsewhere.

I would do that, but it looks like someone has already cut the dash before me! There are cut marks and some lettering is gone, so I imagine an old radio would have an odd appearance. If you look at the hole where the radio was its roughly cut up.

An old radio will have it's own faceplate which will cover the original white lettering.

You poke the spindles through the existing holes, place the faceplate over the top and then screw the retainer nuts and knobs on.

A modern radio looks worse, plus you can hide it elsewhere. Once cut you cannot undo the damage done to the dash. Seems a shame to butcher it to fit a new radio in.

• Like 4

An old radio will have it's own faceplate which will cover the original white lettering.

You poke the spindles through the existing holes, place the faceplate over the top and then screw the retainer nuts and knobs on.

A modern radio looks worse, plus you can hide it elsewhere. Once cut you cannot undo the damage done to the dash. Seems a shame to butcher it to fit a new radio in.

Definitely got me thinking here. I will have a go at fitting an old radio. I have an old clarion radio out of our valiant, looks like it will probably fit. I've seen classic looking 2-knob stereos with all new modern bits inside, might be worth getting something like that? Don't really want to have 2 radios in the car, as only one will be working!

Ye-yeah, been avidly waiting to see your build thread on this. I have to agree with what Neal says man, try not to butcher the dash too much. But do what I'm doing in my new mirage, have both the new and old stereos connected, and working. And mount the new one with brackets to the bottom of the dash.

There is also a red 4 door mirage at Zebra u Pick in Onehunga, that you can raid parts off. I look forward to seeing a second mirage at the monthly meet one day lolz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

If you want an old radio but with new radio features look up phoenix audio nz or alternately (and what i did) is went into repco and got a am/fm Bluetooth thing that you wire in (raptor brand i think) and it has aux and Bluetooth inputs and just tune the radio into one of the 4 frequency's then got a splitter that changes from speaker wires to rca's (Raptor again) and then put a amp hidden in the boot and the audio is amazing i cant believe how good it sounds when you look and see its coming from a 1978 radio.

• Like 1