Jesse's 1960 Mitsubishi silver pigeon c76

Jeffs_Emporium

"The Mitsubishi Silver Pigeon is a series of scooters made in Japan by Mitsubishi between 1946 and 1963. The first was the C-10, based on a scooter imported from the United States by Koujiro Maruyama, which began production at the Nagoya Machinery Works of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. Along with the Mizushima three-wheeler pickup truck it represented Mitsubishi's first contributions to the Japanese post-war personal transport boom.The Silver Pigeon's primary competitor was the Fuji Rabbit (and in 1954, the Honda Juno). Motor scooters were so important to the post-war vehicle industry that In May 1948 both a Silver Pigeon and a Rabbit were presented to the Emperor of Japan. The Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan lists the Silver Pigeon C-10 model introduced in 1946 as one of their 240 Landmarks of Japanese Automotive Technology.

The Silver Pigeon proved sufficiently successful to remain in production for almost twenty years. Motor Cyclist magazine voted it "best in styling" for three consecutive years in the 1950s, a decade after its introduction, while from 1950 to 1964 it maintained an average 45 percent share of the domestic scooter market.By the time production came to an end in 1963 over 463,000 had been manufactured, with the 1960 C-200 proving the most popular individual model, with almost 38,000 sales"

This particular model is a 1960 c76 with a 192 cc four-stroke single cylinder engine.

vy2nuf.jpg

I have owned this for atleast 10 years, I acquired it from a distant relative who passed away, the story goes that he had bought it in an auction and had pulled the engine down for some sort of repair and passed away, unfortunately the engine was left in pieces in a barn which wasn't enclosed near woodhill forest so all the components are either missing or heavily corroded.

I've only just had it delivered to where im living for the first time since I've owned it so looking forward to seeing exactly what is there over the next couple of days, if you are able to point me in the direction of a sheet metal wizard to undertake the task of repairing the fairings please feel free to comment!

• Like 7

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Won an auction from trademe last sunday for a km48 160cc 8hp rotary, thanks to Chris R for OS freighting it to me yesterday! It's missing the pull start and has a geabox attached with a hole blown out of it but apparently was a good runner, ill add fuel this weekend and see if i can fire it up with a drill.

I have also won an auction from ebay for a box of km48 NOS goodies which looks to have various pull start parts included.

mifg3m.jpg

Evil looking exhaust  :badgrin:

31276le.jpg

This gearbox leaves me with a number of options as its a direct gear against the gear on the end of the crank its essentialy reversing the output direction. The original engine ran onto a variable belt pulley which on the other end of the shaft had the chain drive to the rear wheel (as pictured below)

6ibgah.jpg

• Like 2

Excuse me but wouldn't the rotary turned end for end allow for the output shaft to then be reversed? And again, excuse what might be ignorance on my part but isn't the gearbox just a reduction drive?

I got a 90cc twin 2 stroke Wolf motor off Japnut ages ago which he preceded to pull apart to ascertain that it was quite good and merely had one little end seized but in my haste to pick it up I forgot to grab the other half of the crankcase... Anyway you can have it if you want as it might make a slightly easier pigeon holing and subsequent modifications to work. Tracking Japnut down isn't a simple task but he will be found eventually and he is certainly willing, despite being very busy, to get the case to it's rightful home.

I'm not saying that the rotary isn't a very interesting choice for the moped so much as waiting for exactly the right bits to find you to make it easy and less cutty cutty could be acheived by putting a simpler drivetrain into it in the meantime.

And I absolutely love the rusted cutaway that shows the motor. Who needs air intakes when nature has done such a lovely job of sculpting the metal where it's needed?

drivetrain-wise, would there be enough room to do something like this?? separate pitbike gearbox running off belt drive to the flywheel/pulley...

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2013/01/13/brenton-newtons-honda-ct110-bobber.html 

fair amount of engineering/winging it to get a good fit, but the separate gearbox could be cool.

otherwise you can get new variators/torque converters on TM - like the TAV2 ones or golf cart ones.

youtubed that engine lol sounds awesome

• Like 1

drivetrain-wise, would there be enough room to do something like this?? separate pitbike gearbox running off belt drive to the flywheel/pulley...

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2013/01/13/brenton-newtons-honda-ct110-bobber.html 

fair amount of engineering/winging it to get a good fit, but the separate gearbox could be cool.

otherwise you can get new variators/torque converters on TM - like the TAV2 ones or golf cart ones.

youtubed that engine lol sounds awesome

Cool idea, thanks for sharing! There is quite a bit of room in there, a friend has sent me a couple of photos of a local Sachs bike with a rotary with a cvt gearbox conversion so i may try get into the Scootling store to have a look at that for ideas as well

• Like 1

The carb on these are intended for fixed rpm I found. Didn't react well to quick throttle changes.

Flatslide!! theyre cheap as chips on aliexpress..20USD etc for a 30mm keihin copy (OSO, PWK etc)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/KOSO-PWK-30mm-Flat-Slide-Carburetor-RTL250-CR80-CR85R-CR125-NSR50-NSR80-Dirt-Pit-bike-Parts/751225374.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000014.1.PEnOdj&scm=1007.13338.33078.0&pvid=c6dafdf2-520c-48ec-bdab-88afc9e64e07&tpp=0

• Like 1

Forgive my ignorance but are these 2 stroke compatible? If I can find one with matching throttle cable it will be ideal