Tim's 1966 Cortina GT 2 Door Discussion

ThePog

This might be our families old one from Taranaki, I crashed it into a tree sometime in the 80's and it was rebuilt then. The job was a pretty shmick bare metal job though, it ended up with grey steels and BMW front shocks.

Shit it was a good car.

nice build. I'm building a 1500 at the minute for my mk2. do you know the valve sizes? are they stock or bigger?  i'm not sure what to go with for mine i cant find standard ones anyway and have been looking at throbnozzle stuff online, and 105 speed but cant find much info on the uprated sizes. The machine shop said they can make them up easy enough but i cant find much info on them so i dont know what to ask for.  all the tuning discussions and "guides" online are for the 1600 x flow. seems these aren't really messed with anymore. 

nice build. I'm building a 1500 at the minute for my mk2. do you know the valve sizes? are they stock or bigger?  i'm not sure what to go with for mine i cant find standard ones anyway and have been looking at throbnozzle stuff online, and 105 speed but cant find much info on the uprated sizes. The machine shop said they can make them up easy enough but i cant find much info on them so i dont know what to ask for.  all the tuning discussions and "guides" online are for the 1600 x flow. seems these aren't really messed with anymore.

Maybe ask Unclejake. He used to race a Pre-65 Mk.I Coathanger (he's since sold it to some chap in Australia) but he'll likely have the skinny or be able to point you int he direction of someone who does have the skinny on the sizing options for you.

Alternatively, try talking to any of the Pre-65 guys.

• Like 1

yep shell is excellent apart from the stack in the front many years ago. Replacing the front rails with 2 NOS ones and the inner left guard. Engine was 7K landed. It's a GT head casting with standard GT valves and some really trick head work. It has all steel rocker gear etc. HRD Rob Halliday at Mangawai is really schooled up on pushrod Fords so maybe give him a call.

• Like 1

There's a 2 door gt on trademe at the moment. Project, but priced well I think. In chch.

He's had it for sale for ages. It's got no ID whatsoever so only good for a race car unless you have a 2 Door GT BA77 chassi plate lying around

cheers for the info.  

I've got all new bearings, A2 cam, +60 thou pistons steel rocker gear, twin 40's and flows. just need to work out a valve size suitable for fast road and i'm all set. i got my stuff from the uk too but in kit form ha :)  all from burton.

Good spec! Mines running an A2 cam as well plus vernier timing gear. Burtons are good to deal with and parts turn up quickly.

• Like 1

shit yeah i have vernier timing gear too! forgot that haha. single chain, didn't bother with the double.  liking the project though, i love cortinas and i love 2dr mk1's!!  yeah it took longer for dhl to clear customs and deliver it from auckland than it did for burtons to get it there from the uk! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...