Lord Gruntfuttock's 1971 XY Fairmont Big Grunty Discussion

morkster

Good stuff.

Cleaning out the bowl, running thinners through and cleaning the air hole filter if you use one would do for basecoat then just run some thinners through again before you use it. anything that uses hardener I pull out the fluid nozzle and air cap and clean thoroughly

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Sure did.

Just ordered the 37-119 Holley rebuild kit. When I first started it fuel was pissing out but that seemed to come right. Now I'm wondering if it's leaking somewhere and running so rich there's fuel vapour in the crankcase. Oil in catch can is watery and smells fuelie...

Can't do any harm anyway. I'll rekit carb and tune it as much as I can, see if there's any improvement.

• 3 weeks later...

You mentioning wind noise makes me think of my rx2 and how i can drive along with the window down and there's no wind buffeting on me while i'm driving.. i think because of the angle of the windscreen.. anyway it's extremely nice on a warm sunny day driving with the window down in the country, nearly as good as motorcycle.

• Like 1

Theres alot of things avail now to modernize an older car.

Central locking is pretty easy as are elec windows.

Power steer and even air cond is avail.

With technology now sound deadening is alot better and easier to use.

As for wind noise a good set of rubbers may help.

You can even do stealth media installs on older cars. So you can have an ild looking car that actually drives and feels more like a modern car fairly easily these days.

And if done right isn't that expensive.

Yeah I'd consider central locking as it's invisible, plus could tie in with a security system. Also intermittent wipers and suspension mods for drivability. Not worried about power windows or air con, that's part of the old car experience, and it did have power steering originally, but it was the yuck 70s version so that was removed...

Bit like my old ironhead, now that's cheap to rego I'll use it more, so looking at brake and controls upgrades on that just to make it easier to use.