Lord Gruntfuttock's 1971 XY Fairmont

Thought I'd better bang in the frost plugs before I forgot about them. gave the block a good clean up with scotchbrite and brakleen, then a light smear of permatex #1 (hardening) sealant on each surface, and knocked them in evenly with a socket...
ydut20yz.xrz.jpg

And yes they are aligned vertically cos that's how I roll...  :) 
ef35ahbo.zjo.jpg

• Like 5

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Gruntfuttock

Top Posters In This Topic

And chucked the lifters in, gave them a good coat of assembly lube. This stuff is sticky, got strings of red goo everywhere. That plus oily fingers gives these pics the soft focus look...  :-) 
koioxeno.5k4.jpg

And inserted pushrods/rocker arms with a dollop of goo on each end, and loosely fitted polylocks...
zyire33y.ang.jpg

And liked this ex-t shirt I pulled out of the rag bag, had to look it up but Dimmit is in Florida...
ew1llsv4.13x.jpg

And all done. Just used the EOIC method, and went through each bank in order, giving the nut a half turn after resistance was felt, and locking it down...
aa0yu5p0.mzw.jpg

Then went through each cylinder/valve in firing order and checked each rocker felt the same. Pretty sure it's all good, tis easy to set hydraulics as they are quite forgiving. Would have carried on but I'm going to use studs on the intake and Hardware store was shut today. Still, a good bit of progress, only let down by my rush job painting engine parts, got a few drips so will have to sort that out over the week...

• Like 4

Bit of a saga with the headers, Any coating (incl ceramic) requires curing, and doing it on the vehicle doesn't work in with the running conditions to bed in a new cam. I debated leaving them as-is and doing a proper job later (priced ceramic coating with Elite in Ch'ch) but I can't really be arsed pulling them off again and didn't want to stick rusty old pipes on my shiny engine, so decided just to rattle can VHT on them to see how it goes...

x0ofts4l.sko.jpg

So a couple of weeks ago I dropped into the largest sandblasting place in Invers (a place I put a bit of work through incidentally) to ask about blasting them clean. 2 weeks later, despite me going in there twice plus leaving my details, hadn't heard a bloody thing. This disappoints me as I treat every job as a trial for bigger ones, and not being contacted pissed me off more than a little, this will be remembered when larger contracts come about... :?

Anyways, did a google search for sandblasting Invergumboot, and Sievwright blasting/panel/paint popped up. Never knew anything about them but called past on the off chance to see what they could do. The GC there said sure, no probs, they boys had a window and as they were in the car I could get them done right then, and pick them up in an hr. Done... :thumbleft:

kgvwjnft.lsp.jpg

Crap pic but shit this saved some work, I'm over sanding stuff down and would happily pay for this service again. The bloke asked me how I found them as they don't advertise, and laughed when I said I had the arse with the normal outfit (Southern Industrial Coatings) and went looking... :mrgreen:

And I knocked off early and degreased, warmed and chucked a few coats of VHT black on 'em...

bnowsv5u.xzy.jpg

These look pretty good now but I'm under no illusions it'll last, so I looked into curing them prior to bolting them up. I need to bake at:

• 120 degs for 30 mins
  • cool 30 mins
  • 204 degs for 30 mins
  • cool 30 mins
  • 315 degs for 30mins
After my last shed cleanup I discovered I had 3 hot air guns (no idea how) so toying with the idea of using these plus an IR thermometer to give it a go. I know I can get the pipes to over 100 degs with one gun, so will be interesting to see what I can do, can always plumb in an lpg torch for bit of extra oomph. Worst case is I'll waste a bit of time trying it out, best case is it works and I have fun trying... :)
  • Like 8

Gave it a crack. Just set up some guns with rags in the ports to see what sort of temp I'd get across the unit bunging it up the fat end...
jblgxnux.qal.jpg

All good down the big end, but a bit light at the other...
bx5kbcso.ca2.jpg

So shot another gun in the ports, alternating holes to regulate temp, you can see the colour change (darker and shiny) as it cooks...
kkrpkd3c.w3f.jpg

And did both pipes at 120 degrees, was hard work using two guns plus thermometer so wedged the guns for a hands free system...
1sdj2l4p.nty.jpg

And got 200 degrees for the second burn ok, plugged the big end and regulated heat with rags at the top and the high/low switches...
epmnhfbp.x0w.jpg

And tried for 300 degrees by plugging all unused ports and heating at full blast from both ends, then had an oops...  :shock:  
azxmkxjt.cbv.jpg

Who knew that cotton rags would burn at 300 degrees...?  :-D 
1jyvy1pa.f5c.jpg

And with new rag plugs, got up over 300 surprisingly, didn't hold it for 30 minutes however due to fire risk and my good gun starting to melt, so we'll see how it goes...

q4pxcmv2.4yl.jpg

While things were cooling I sprayed the drippy air cleaner again, typically got bugs on the bit I'd just done so it'll probably look worse than if I'd left it...
3przslh4.tpl.jpg

And even after that the headers were still hot as I hung them in the shed.
wuhtmy4j.csx.jpg

No idea if this'll work or not, the temp control was a bit random, but the paint is definitely stuck on better than when I started, also got a few marks where the pipes were laying on the cardboard edges. Worse case I'll just spray some more on once the engine is sorted, and cook them according to instructions in place, an interesting exercise anyway...  :)

• Like 7

So no updates cos had a life for a bit (Sabbath last weekend \m/    :mrgreen:   \m/)...

Anyway, been slowly cleaning up old bits, replacing connections etc, and hit the shed last night to made some studs and get the inlet manifold on... :thumbleft:
itelhmqc.xn5.jpg

Then spent this morning getting covered in half-set sealant pulling it off again, after lying awake knowing that I'd buggered it up... :scratch:

As I was torquing the water neck I noticed one thread was slightly stripped (felt it at only 15 ft-lbs) and as I had everything ready to go I just put a longer bolt in it and it seemed fine. Of course with the crappy Ford thermostat housing setup there is no way to get this lower  bolt out again if it's too long once the inlet is on, as it hits the back of the water pump, and is a bastard to get at (memories now of overtightening this bolt with a spanner in the past trying to stem a leak)...
bxgarqc0.qft.jpg

Now I'm sure it would be fine, and it's only really a matter of lifting the inlet to replace if I had to, but in my haste I'd also forgotten to:

1. put any anti-seize lubricant on the s/s manifold bolts,
  2. test the new thermostat

So the inlet's off again and cleaned before the goo set, and I'll tap out the dodgy 5/16" thread to M10 and put it together properly, knowing I can replace the thermostat easily if need be (things that are not quite right bother me). Also ordered new set of hoses just because I'd rather replace them now while it is easy, plus got this catch can to plumb into the PCV line, as I am a bit concerned my baffle mods are going to mean a bit of oil being pushed out...
1hp3jw35.eba.jpg

So for the cost of a couple of gaskets and a little effort I'll be much more confident in my setup. :)
Do it once, do it right eh...

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Back on deck after Ebola, and started getting a few things done I had put off. Nice day so gave the radiator a backflush with the hose and cleaned the dead butterfies etc out of the fins, had a helper for this...
uwq3nkmv.yyd.jpg

Got a few bits of crud out by shaking it upside down, but nothing major, I had this professionally flushed around 4 yrs ago so didn't expect much apart from a few loose bits that had escaped the block...
21ufcyre.npz.jpg

And it looks pretty good, any bits in the fins in this pic are actually just water droplets...
oubo5iha.guw.jpg

Ripped into the trans too, unfortunately it's been so long I couldn't recall what bits went where (I really wanted to avoid that situation). Thank fuck for phone pics. Thought I'd lost some pan bolts till I found these brackets etc in a box, what went where was a head scratcher till I scrolled back through some images...
bvaexvdg.etn.jpg

I've never looked into an auto trans before, first thought here was shit look at all that crap...  :shock: 
h1qexrzd.fyg.jpg

But after a wipe up I realised these bits had fallen out of the filter when I rolled it over, and it was actually pretty clean inside...
vyvidxn4.4br.jpg

And a new filter made it look pretty flash...
mzif5vzs.axb.jpg

I cleaned out the pan and gave the holes a tickle with a hammer to straighten out the dimples...
4w5tqtek.niu.jpg

And all together, also chucked some heat shrink over the tatty wiring, couldn't get it as tight as I'd like as had to slide it over the plug, but I'll tape up the join and should be all good...
kmobhlvn.ta4.jpg

I also checked I had torqued the flywheel bolts and was contemplating mating the engine to the trans when a mate came round with beer, so that's pretty much where things stopped...  :)

• Like 5

Not much time this weekend, had a footy road trip, but did make up a jig to hold the trans on my bike lift.

Coupla bits of waste ply and some 45 x 19 moulding...

vviwosfj.3xg.jpg

and this is shaped to fit the pan, weight bearing on the bolts around the edge...
ijuymwba.cq0.jpg

And she sits beautifully, should make it real easy to mate up to the engine...
1bybhqdi.31w.jpg

Too hungover to do anything else, but getting there...

• Like 8

Thought it'd be easier to get the wiper unit in while the bonnet was off and engine out, so picked up where I'd left off. Packed the screw and sprocket out with grease before putting cover on...
h1kmi3ao.ybz.jpg

Then hooked up battery and ran unit to see if the two speeds worked and it parked ok. Was stressing a bit about the park position and lining up the blades, but luckily Mr Lucas had marked on the body where the arm should stop. Had 50:50 chance the arm was on right (was wrong) but matter of seconds to fix...
i2j0vpdq.yiu.jpg

Then was just a matter of connecting arm up with the wipers in the park position and snapping on the retaining clip (and then doing it again as I'd forgotten to fit the new mounting gasket beforehand). Little bit of wiring to do to hook up the new pump, but should have a better system than new :)
vcvhqic1.35o.jpg

And she's in... :)

Mated up tranny and block, still a little tricky even with my trans stand, a matter of lining up torque converter studs and locating dowels on trans case, making sure drain bolt is located in a hole in the flywheel...

i14mfmu2.g0i.jpg

Lot easier to pull out than put in it must be said, engine was on a slight angle and things wouldn't line up, but got fat Jim leaning on it and she slotted in...

m4jsx44g.jkg.jpg

b0zg3buv.deb.jpg

stdzpvaq.new.jpg

So all bolted up and ready to start putting things back together. A worrying smear of fluid under the trans, hopefully it's from being inverted and the pan isn't leaking (shouldn't be, new gasket and was torqued up perfectly). I'll give it a clean and see if it reappears. The old Windsor is a tiny engine when you look at them sitting with no attachments...

xqn0yqlf.2w1.jpg

I've ordered some new leads you cut to length but I'll use the old ones for running it in...

• Like 7

dble post, so pic of engine before it came out just cos...

el3fkwvn.315.jpg

[Edit]

Oh yeah, I know there are a few bits to go back in, and it's dry weight still, but it appears the front end is sitting comically high after shedding those cast heads. Will need to lower her. Will ask in discussion thread for advice on springs/shocks...

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/51628-lord-gruntfuttocks-1971-xy-fairmont-big-grunty-discussion/

• Like 3

Been away for work for a week, and when I got back there was a list of things to do that were apparently much higher priority than working in the shed. :-D

Good thing is some bits arrived while I was gone, shelled out for some spark plug lead routing looms, will be interesting to see how they go with the new leads I also received...

kuhlq0yy.2h2.jpg

And did get into it for an hr or so this arvo, fitted the starter motor I had cleaned and painted months ago...
s43vgbpp.vcp.jpg

And pleased to see no drips underneath, cleaned up the trans cooling tubes and fitted them at the trans end...
2nrz55dq.w5x.jpg

Unfortunately have forgotten how all the clips etc go for these, so will look thru my pics and get back into it later this week...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well thought I'd have been cruising by now, esp as wife and kids have been on holiday, and I had visions of living in the shed for a week. Cunningly, however, wifey had made other plans, so while they were shopping on the Gold Coast, I was getting home from work and plastering and painting the kids bedrooms. I don't enjoy that sort of work... :|

Anyways, saturday sports, buying more projects I don't need, repairing my compressor and shitty weather have slowed things down, but I did get under the car on the weekend to tidy a few things up. Tightened trans cooler pipes, fitted vacuum line, filler tube and speedo drive, with all new o-rings, vacuum rubber etc. Just conscious it's a lot easier to sort this stuff out before the headers go in.

Thought I'd take the chance to made up some new linkage bushings on the old Myford...

f4r5tebm.hzi.jpg

One was actually missing, so should take some of the slop out of the gear selection...

vb0ohv1w.a2f.jpg

And installed the new washer bottle/pump. There was a tab on the pump motor that was energised when the key was on, and another spade terminal that earths when the wiper switch is pushed, so simple bit of soldering/wiring, and hopefully I'll have a much better squirt mechanism. Just plumbed in new hose and tied new wires along the hose and loom to tidy things up...

4wpdl2k4.ro1.jpg

The vacuum line clip on top of the trans got snapped off while dropping the engine in, so thought I'd have a bash at repairing it...

psff2exf.set.jpg

Don't know anything about metallurgy, but as this is spring steel, zapped it up and cooled in oil, as I didn't want to lose the spring, really just having a play...

sxlzug55.0it.jpg

Seemed to work, and I congratulated myself on being a clever chappie. Then it snapped when I fitted the vacuum line. :mrgreen:

Funnily enough it broke next to the weld, so the heat did some weird black-magic thing to the metal and made it brittle.

Was worth a crack, but just made up a new clip out of an old Harley fender, should do the trick...

43e3nq2m.lt0.jpg

Next on the list is new main leads and finding the trans cooling clips etc...

• Like 3

Up at 6 this morning to make a new fuel line connector to replace the one I munted getting off. I had only used the flaring tool on copper oil lines before, the fuel line was a bit harder and needed a bit more care, making sure all edges were de-burred and tools were square before starting...
tbs2weu0.4mq.jpg

Came out ok though, once I remembered to put the fitting on before flaring the end...  :mrgreen:
t44i51pp.p04.jpg

Another small job ticked off, love using things like this old US made tool kit I picked up on tardme... :)

• Like 3

So got the headers in last night, what a bastard of a job on the drivers side. Forgot how much the starter motor, steering box and gear linkages got in the way, so they suffered a few scrapes getting in there. Then I had to wriggle them out again so's I could reconnect the starter motor leads further away from the pipes.

Too close...

eqhzwog5.ap3.jpg

Betterer...

5ijstrjv.odn.jpg

So they're in, albeit covered in scratches and copper slip, and I'll have to reconnect the shift linkage. Should make good smoke on startup... :)

• Like 3

Getting a little depressed at lack of progress so took the day off work to get some shit done.  :)

Re-torqued intake manifold, fitted carb, adjusted kick-down cable, tightened exhaust flange, rechecked header bolts etc. Then made up earth leads and attached to block and chassis (I always run a strap between engine/chassis) and knocked trans cooler clip back into shape - the top pipe has a bit of rubber round it as it was a little loose..

stwvveid.big.jpg

And put driveshaft back in, noticed diff has been leaking and should probably replace universal joints, but that can wait till I'm mobile. Shaft looks much better painted...
ckvaxllk.or3.jpg

Also fitted plugs (with anti-seize on threads) so I could look at routing the leads. Started by roughly placing them with cylinder numbers attached...
p4nq2jpn.zse.jpg

Then fitted clamps on the loom bracket each side. These MSD leads are looking pretty good, like the bendable boot for clearing the headers...
g4t4qmz5.evp.jpg

Didn't go too far as want to work out the neatest way to route them at the dizzy before cutting them...
23054uhv.jlx.jpg

And fitted oil/fuel filters, fuel lines, and coil. Also tidied up oil pressure sender connector etc, and fitted alternator and brackets...
5wid3dxd.mng.jpg

And made up a bracket for the oil catch can, might need a couple of 90 deg fittings for neatest hose installation, but pretty happy where it sits...
nvghfnp5.llj.jpg

So really made some progress, much easier when you're not snatching the odd half hour before/after work in the dark. good to get a lot of the fiddly stuff out of the way, and also had a bit of a tidy-up in th'shed.

Best day at work I've had in ages...  :mrgreen:

• Like 6

Wasn't easy to find another 90 degree fitting for the catch can as being 'Merican they're NPT, so I bought a BSP elbow from Hayes...
gujtlitq.ipi.jpg

Machined the barbed end off the NPT straight connector, fitted inside the trimmed elbow, and soldered them together...
mfrmfkvt.i1o.jpg

And it plumbed in quite nicely. Seem to have misplaced the rocker cover grommet but it's somewhere in my pile of bits...
masc3moh.qkx.jpg

And started on the plug wires, tried different layouts with the old leads to check neatest solution...
5l5ypcik.dyp.jpg

Fitted the connectors to use as a guide to cut leads to length...
snmwl2ir.5ep.jpg

And done, I'll tidy these up once the timing is done properly. Only problem making leads was I left it halfway through to play footy, and the boots got stuck on the leads as the dielectric grease had dried. Bugger of a job sliding them back onto the connectors...
ghihiynu.1y3.jpg

And had a win at Supercheap today, shot in to grab some Penrite oil as it's full zinc for the break-in. Was 25% off and I had store credits, so pretty much scored $60 of oil for $20. Sweet...

• Like 3