chrisr's nixie and electronic barrying thread

chris r

@Raizer had the brilliant idea of chopping screws and sharpening them into a point and using that to mark out the holes. So simple and easy.

I chopped the heads off and wangled them in the drill for a turn on the sander 

sRUYxjY.jpg

Funnily enough that works and shit lines up and can be bolted up. M3 suff is tiny and fiddly to use but it's what I had in stock. My aliexpress package hasn't arrived yet with my other fasteners 

I was thinking about a dose of clear coat on the face plate, but the shiny weld and grind marks would show up. I don't have any black paint in stock. I had a quick search and found one video about finishing steel with oil. I have a mapp torch and some used engine oil so figured I'd give it a try. From what little info I found it's similar to seasoning a cast iron pan 

fDdKNlH.jpg

IFlNHrm.jpg

• Like 5

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno why but I really like hex head fasteners 

GQeFwfm.jpg

7T2aN2Z.jpg

Gave the top plate a wire brush, degrease and a squirt of clear and sat it on the box for visual motivation 

Q6PoKXr.jpg

And sat the tubes in for the same reason 

yQqp6Jl.jpg

I'll need to re make the mounting bracket for the plate and drill and mount the switches and power socket. Then I can wire it all up 

• Like 7

A few essential aliexpress parcels arrived today. Most importantly my rivnuts and fasteners. 

Primed the rear plate and put some holes then rivnuts in it 

MDOdRH7.jpg

Made a new bracket as the other one was too small 

FvZDZrv.jpg

Wanged some holes and rivnuts in. Also ckraranced it for the copper mounting bolts 

VffkGb3.jpg

Sat the top plate on so I could mark out the holes for the screws.

PicYIF6.jpg

• Like 1

I'm torn between mounting the switches for setting the time on the top plate or if I chuck them on the back. Back is easier as it's thin steel and my chinesium drill bits don't like the thick plate, being on the back will be a pain to set the time though. 

I'll reread the destructions and see what I need to do wiring wise 

4 minutes ago, chris r said:

I'm torn between mounting the switches for setting the time on the top plate or if I chuck them on the back. Back is easier as it's thin steel and my chinesium drill bits don't like the thick plate, being on the back will be a pain to set the time though. 

I'll reread tge destructions and see what I need to do wiring wise 

what about mounting the switches on one of the sides?

that way the timber is easy to work with and you can stack stuff on top of the box 

Just now, piazzanoob said:

what about mounting the switches on one of the sides?

that way the timber is easy to work with and you can stack stuff on top of the box 

hmm, I'll have to have a measure of what switches I have and see if any are long enough to reach through.

The clock is smarter than me and will remember the settings/time after its set so I only really need one switch somewhere which makes it easier

• Haha 1

Did some soldering yesterday, I'll need to flip 4 of the holders as they are numbered and I've put them in upside down

C2TDADY.jpg

Got sick of soldering so played with the amp stuff I got off aliexpress/ebay last year. safety second. I thought I had a dud but turns out my rca cable was broken. I chopped it and soldered a new plug on it and everything works now

ufCHoVD.jpg 

Also got confused af trying to read up on sub box design and all that crap. Found a useful website and ended up with some useful instructions

1x trade me special hunk of MDF

Ao3914Q.jpg

Cut it into squares and balance everything together

yCKWz2L.jpg

barry up some internal brackets, then glue and screw it together

4kIkiW7.jpg

The port timber isnt square at all. and the face plate I must have cut at the same time as its also on the piss. I might get away with a trim of them both but will re cut them tomorrow

Chopped the crooked face plate onto the port and cut a new face plate 

Marked out the appropriate circle with a bit of cardboard with a hole in the appropriate place 

bCfotyF.jpg

I don't have a jigsaw or router so barried my way through 

KZuhDv3.jpg

vztf3Ta.jpg

KZgsUwB.jpg

• Like 8

Found a tin of half set urethane in the shed, added a splash or three of thinners and used a brush missing 90% of its bristles and sealed the box 

GwXBsL4.jpg

Made up a plate for the sub wiring. Yes there's filler etc visible but it's going to get upholstered 

Sy2XRDH.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered some super cheap foam backed stuff two weeks ago and the couriers finally delivered it.
Made a start on the first wrap, there are a few cuts that aren't perfect but this is just the first layer. When I get my hands on a sewing machine it'll look less bad

AVVgr3X.jpg

2KvfHAt.jpg

Will pop out and grab some more glue shortly to do the last side

DpJ1iYM.jpg

the material didnt like the nails in the deck but again it'll be covered

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...