Phillips Gadabout restomod.

Bellicose

So i've given up on cars (hard to do when over the last 33 years i've owned 207 lol) and decided to get back into doing up bikes.

Don't care what bikes, be it pushie, moped or full size.

Have been looking for a "project" for a couple of weeks with some interesting finds (which still may end up in my shed much to swmbo's disgust haha)

So, this morning i check FB and on one of the local free pages this thing popped up, and even better it was only ten k's away.

Haven't decided on final plans but it will be re-powered with something between 150cc & 200cc.

5hfp0jld.bdh.jpg

• Like 7

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im an old barry, and probably have one if you get caught out

Thanks man, appreciated.

A few others i'm talking too have said maybe it's 'British Standard Cycle (BSC)'

Which may (or may not) make sense considering Phillips' bike building history at the time.

• 5 months later...

Time to revive this thread.

Plans changed.

So i was going to re-power this with the 110cc outa the mini dirt bike, but it's physically too big.

Next was put in a 49cc from a pocket bike, but to line everything up properly would've had the motor too far off centre.

morntzjj.yqe.jpg

Then the plan was to make it a "proper" bicycle by welding a crank-case into it.

Finally i decided on a plan.

Awhile ago i bought a chopped up NSU Quickly from Manu (well it very briefly passed through his hands lol) that came with a motor that had a "gearbox issue" but had a load of "parts".

u31ezgde.34h.jpg
2xlxu1hw.3pb.jpg
mtjebd4m.fdg.jpg

I thought 'why not combine the two'.

So i bit the bullet and cut the Gadabout frame up to mount the NSU motor mount.

Trial fit.

1plimwrz.fkf.jpg

Yep, that'll do.

k3nszhta.thz.jpg

Welded and checking alignment.

5sgmyf0a.o02.jpg

Pulled motor apart, and..................Well there's ya problem. Unfortunately the wayward bits of ring & piston took out a large chunk of 3 out of 4 ports on there way past.

0b3xx0bb.f0r.jpg

BUT, i do happen to have a good barrel & piston that were in the parts that came with the NSU mini bike.

Monday mornings mission is to get new bearings and seals (readily available locally) then slap motor back together.

• Like 6

Heh. Woops. Sorry dude that was my bad.

I was actually thinking about this a week ot two ago and realised I probably miss diagnosed. It was a few years ago now when it happened lol. Glad it came with the spares required. The old man I got that off who built it for his kids many years ago will probably be stoked and gutted at the same time.

No drama mate.

Either way it was going to get a rebuild. Apart from the obvious damage it's all very clean and solid inside.

After bearings and seals are done I'll throw it together, work out how the clutch, gearshift and decompression mechanisms work and get some cables made.

Then it should be video time.