Karol Shusbands 72 Skyline, Betty The Hakopotamus. Discussion.

CarolsHusband

The translated version of that blog post is epic - thanks for sharing the story so far. The patience is the part I'm most impressed with - I'm going to keep it in mind while I save for something sweet rather than constantly buying shit I don't really love.

I'll be honest, it was tough at times. You can buy a lot of cars for the price of (even a cheap) Hako. Stuff kept coming up for sale especially when I was feeling like it was never going to happen. Still, it's a forever car that I could only just afford and I got there in the end !

Stick with it.

• Like 2

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

140 miles away. Busy. Other pitiful excuses.

Bit of warning next time, you might get lucky !

Whereabouts in The Big Town are you ?

Haha considering I have no idea where in the UK you are, 140miles isn't that bad. Staying in Whitechapel. Meh but it's just a base camp for a week of touristy things.

I didn't even think about it till these posts started popping up when I had wifi

• Like 2

What sort of reaction do you get from other people over there in the UK with your Hako ?

I was in Southampton in 2004 when I was 17 and my English friends were all into Novas and fiestas and minis. They were gob smacked when I showed them some Aussie V8 magazines

• Like 1

The L20 is as tunable as the others it's simply that it's a bit of a waste of time given the ease of displacement to increase the worthwhile nature of fucking around with it.

Any of the L24, L26 or L28's available from other vehicles would be a nice upgrade and you don't have to do fuckall other than swap the bits over (so long as they run the same sump setup)

I have an L28 for mine that came from a Leopard so is already the right sump layout (don't have to re-drill the dipstick hole in the block)

With that said though, there is a lot to be said for simply enjoying it. I wish mine hadn't of been so rust fucked and I could have been enjoying it still now and only worrying about performance upgrades instead of structural integrity. Such is though.

If you can find an N42/F54 L28 head block combo kicking about, snatch it up. Get it all tickled up and slam that bitch in at a later date. Triples are mandatory, btw.

• Like 3

The L20 is as tunable as the others it's simply that it's a bit of a waste of time given the ease of displacement to increase the worthwhile nature of fucking around with it.

Any of the L24, L26 or L28's available from other vehicles would be a nice upgrade and you don't have to do fuckall other than swap the bits over (so long as they run the same sump setup)

I have an L28 for mine that came from a Leopard so is already the right sump layout (don't have to re-drill the dipstick hole in the block)

With that said though, there is a lot to be said for simply enjoying it. I wish mine hadn't of been so rust fucked and I could have been enjoying it still now and only worrying about performance upgrades instead of structural integrity. Such is though.

If you can find an N42/F54 L28 head block combo kicking about, snatch it up. Get it all tickled up and slam that bitch in at a later date. Triples are mandatory, btw.

It is the only way to go, thanks for the Leopard tip, everything I've looked at so far  is rear sumped. It's the first L-Series I've owned so I'm out of my depth but I'm learning ! 

BTW, had a look for a thread on your kenmeri, does one exist ?

What sort of reaction do you get from other people over there in the UK with your Hako ?

I was in Southampton in 2004 when I was 17 and my English friends were all into Novas and fiestas and minis. They were gob smacked when I showed them some Aussie V8 magazines

Most people who know I have it, know what it is. I don't really drop " I've got a Hako" into many conversations. General out-and-about people haven't got a clue.

I haven't used it a huge amount so am yet to get a shout of "Nice Hako" as I'm driving around.

As for the Novas and Fiestas thing, the car scene is quite fractured here and having a fast or special car is getting harder and harder for the youngsters. I had a 69 Camaro back in 1988, didn't cost anything to insure or run, really. When we went to The Pendine Beach Races last year some school kids shouted "Nice Ratrod" to my mate in his very not ratrod 29 Ford Sedan.

The V8 thing ? Just not as common place in the UK. The only V8 readily available is the Rover and their not exactly a monster. Small roads developed from small cart-tracks end up needing small cars.

• Like 1

Lewl.

Not a thread but this is mine at the moment. I'll put it in a spoiler even though it's to not spoil your thread.

How it looked after I refitted the RHS rear quarter

23729848745_04ac1ee203_c.jpg

Why it was a good idea to melt out the lead from the top quarter to roof joins

23810254489_22d09af555_c.jpg

That rust crack was hidden.

The powerplant plan of Leopard motor plus Triple Mikuni Solex and some headers

4437031950_abd893f0d6_o.jpg

• Like 2

Lewl.

Not a thread but this is mine at the moment. I'll put it in a spoiler even though it's to not spoil your thread.

How it looked after I refitted the RHS rear quarter

23729848745_04ac1ee203_c.jpg

Why it was a good idea to melt out the lead from the top quarter to roof joins

23810254489_22d09af555_c.jpg

That rust crack was hidden.

The powerplant plan of Leopard motor plus Triple Mikuni Solex and some headers

4437031950_abd893f0d6_o.jpg

Jeez, you're a brave man. 10/10 for commitment !

Goon looks nice :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mayte. Put those surrounds back on, you plonker.

Maybe even get a rear garnish for shits and or giggles.

Also, yay for summer. That said, I did one step far from nothing to mine during the summer months.

Nice to see you've popped your head back in.

• Like 2

The late garnish looks awful to me, and I'm not a big fan of the GT-R end pieces. Actually, I don't really rate Hako's anymore. Stupid old cars.

What I'd really like is the early rear lights with the integral reversing light, but the originals are rare as rocking hens horse-shit teeth and the repros just dont fit.

Bear with me, it might look good. Won't know till it's done, but nothing irreversible will happen.

Also, did you just call me a plonker ?

Nice to pop back in, thanks :)