Karol Shusbands 72 Skyline, Betty The Hakopotamus. Discussion.

CarolsHusband

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Do the badges not have the spiked washers internally to hold them on?

They actually don't.

I thought they had them, on first inspection, "tang washers" is it ? They're just rubber/silicon o-rings to seal against the panel. The mounting is by the arrow-head type thingys much beloved of Japanese manufacturers.

So I'm kind of on a guesstimate of what size hole to drill. Maybe I should work my way up or do trial fits on plasticard.

So much responsibility. I thought raising a family & moving house was a worry......

After having dealt with rust repairs on Toyotas that use holes to fix the badges on, and the associated water that inevitably leaks into the car and fucks up the whole boot area.
My vote is for dont drill. I'd rather grind the tabs off and reglue or whatever.
You probably wont need to take it back off, but you probably will have wankerish issues with water ingress.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roman said:

After having dealt with rust repairs on Toyotas that use holes to fix the badges on, and the associated water that inevitably leaks into the car and fucks up the whole boot area.
My vote is for dont drill. I'd rather grind the tabs off and reglue or whatever.
You probably wont need to take it back off, but you probably will have wankerish issues with water ingress.

It had crossed my mind to cut the pins off, but don't tell Michael....

To be honest it's probably never going to see any rain. Me from 30 years ago would disapprove but it's actually worth something and as you said, they can rust given any excuse. It's done really well at not doing so over the years.

There is every chance I'm going to paint it at some point, the current colour is pretty odd and it's got quite a bit of micro blistering.

If I fit the badge properly it won't come off in one piece, if I butcher it & fit it with badge tape I can remove it.

* First world problems....

• Like 2

• 2 years later...