Torque Sticks - Whats your opinion?

bonkas

i have used them, best to set your gun on low/1, give it some nungas nungas , then set your torque wrench on like 80 nm, check it and wind it up till you find where its actually torqueing the nut to.  and adjust your rattle gun setting to the best position. I did find when I went to a much better quality rattle gun I had to dumb it down to the lowest setting to get the right torque

i went away from using them in the end because for my own peace of mind knowing that you torqued the nuts up helped me to sleep at night. especially on them long as days were your doing 14 jobs and you cant get of to dream land cause you cant remember if you did up the nuts on the last rush wheel bearing job.

thankfully that has never happened to me, but as i said peace of mind knowing its right was worth the extra 2 mins . I do things the same way every time , so if I haven't put the torque wrench back in the draw I know I haven't torqued the nuts, its a good system, same goes for sump plugs, and brake caliper bolts,  all ways put the spanner on the drainer, or ring end on the hub, if the spanner is on the drainer/hub then the plug/bolts aren't tight.  I may be a little ocd but I have never left wheel nuts loose or fucked an engine cause the plug fell out . my 2 cents , got a little of topic sorry

• Like 9

When I worked at Firestone seven years ago, we had a set of them hanging by each impact in the store.

Never once used them, at least not without checking them after.

The idea of them hopefully being to torque spec is heavily outweighed by the risk if they aren't.

• Like 1

I calibrated torque equipment at my last job and pneumatic stuff could vary rediculously so banging a torque stick on to a rattle gun that may or may not be working correctly is just waiting for trouble. The best torque wrench i came across was a warren&brown so accurate next is norbar teng are shit the rest are barely reusable after 12 months. Buy one of the above if your using it at work get it calibrated youll sleep better.

• Like 1

I used them heaps when I was working in Europe, they love them over there! I had never seen them before but the workshop guys told me they were accurate enough to not need checking, laced up many snow groomer tracks (600 bolts per side!) and other assemblies with them and never had any more trouble than the ones I did by hand.