Harry's 1973 Toyota Corolla Ke20 Sedan

70sjappa

Howdy, welcome aboard!

If you ever decide you want new carpets there is a company in Auckland called Autodec and they will do a new perfectly fitting set in almost any colour you like for $285. There are pretty decent (never personally found any better or cheaper) and are a good company to deal with. If something isn't quite right they will change/modify free of charge.

Otherwise, good choice of a first car. All the good and not so good (I think everything should have a 13b conversion) information and advice is freely offered here on oldschool. Take some with a grain of salt, heed others when needed and you'll be of to a terrific start.

Best of luck. When in doubt, post heaps of pictures.

• Like 1

Awesome find mate, nothing like a bit of a project. I would look at getting the grill and bonnet trim stripped of all rust and painted before its to late, they are very hard to come by now. I got mine acid dipped and powder coated. 

Awesome thats your father is an ex mechanic that will help you out a lot. Are you going to look at giving her a buff and polish? looks like The paint will come up pretty good in most areas. 

Good luck with the restoration. Tap into the knowledge here at Oldschool

• Like 1

Cheers fellas, that carpet from Autodec sounds good and is definitely on the list when the funds are there. Ahhh the 13b  :-D  yes i would love a rotor, a mate of mine is actually doing a Mazda REPU resto project, thing sounds and goes amazing! 

Actually began stripping the grill and trims off, getting them preped for paint ect haha. 

I was keen on polishing her up but the old man reakons we can put that on the back burner and work on cutting rust out and getting her a respray instead, but thinking about it, respray may be a wee way away so i might polish and buff her. 

But yes am enjoying it so far and will definitely use this resource to aid me.

Will continue to keep you updated on the build thread. 

by looking at the photo of what you put up about the carpet it doesn't look too bad in the photo 

theres one thing you have to consider if you are going to get new carpet 

1 being you are a young fella and me aswell both know once its legal your gonna go cruising with your mates etc

and there going to eat and drink in the car and place there dirty shoes on your nice new carpet.

All rounder the car doesn't look too bad of shape although i would advise a oil and filter change prior to the engine being started by looking at the oil filter 

and i would advise in investing in some fish oil or a similar product and go round and spray in the inside of doors rear gaurds anywhere that rust could start 

good luck with the project 

Yeah cheers thats actually a bloody good point... Might just get rubber mats and leave as is...

Been to supercheap and ordered an oil and air filter already, pick that up after nys, the old ones are horrific condish...

Also gone through about 3 cans of this crc shiat already hahah just spraying everything i can basically

I would trust whats written on the air cleaner. Its there for a reason. Brake clean and a dish brush or as you said maybe petrol will clean up alot of shit. I would hsve suggested a compression test before pulling rocker cover off but all good. Atleast that way it would have given an indication of the troubled cylinder.

Valve clearances should be set to 0.20 mm intake, 0.30 mm exhaust when hot.

If you HAVE to set them cold, ie after doing a head gasket, set them to 0.13 mm intake, 0.23 mm exhaust.

EDIT: Yours says 0.08/0.13 cold.

Set the clearances when hot if ever possible.

Looks like a sweet project man, always loved the earl KE2# Corollas.

One way to break up large build ups of carbon deposit in the head is to run diesel oil as it has a conditioner in it which breaks down the carbon. We had a Honda Odyssey years ago that had carbon build up the size of golf balls under the rocker cover. ran diesel oil through it for 3x oil changes (with filter) in the space of a week then put some fresh 10w40 in it with a new filter after and most of the carbon had gone. Was pretty rancid the old sludgy shit that came out. It may not be the best solution for your situation but worked out pretty well for the Honda.

• 3 months later...

Depends how much you do yourself? If you have the whole thing to an engine builder you could spend 5-6k doing that pretty easily but parts wise it would be appx

Cam - $300

Valve springs $200

Crank work $300

Bearings $200-400

Head skim $100

Gaskets $100

If your dad was a mechanic he could do the assembly I guess, but while your at it you would most likely drop appx 200-300 on block machining and say 400 on new Pistons and rings.

Then once doing that it would pay to upgrade the carb to something like a 28/32 weber and that would doesn't include any head porting which you won't want on a small port 3knas well so there's another $600 easy..

So yea around $2600 plus a carb so more than likely you would sink over 3k as shits always dearer than what you think.