argon vs argoshield

cletus

Hello.

Is there any reason why I can't use argon in a mig welder apart from cost? I'm thinking about getting a tig welder, I already own a bottle so would like to have just one for both. Also can you fill an argoshield bottle with argon? Tell me why I'm an idiot here.

I asked the same idiot questions when I was deciding on what to buy (as cheaply as possible)

Straight argon isn't recommended for mig

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/welding-gas.htm

Can change from argon to argon mix but not back (as now it won't be straight argon for Tig welding tho again you can Tig with argosheild but gets messy)

Could buy co2 cheap for mig welding?

Hello.

Is there any reason why I can't use argon in a mig welder apart from cost? I'm thinking about getting a tig welder, I already own a bottle so would like to have just one for both. Also can you fill an argoshield bottle with argon? Tell me why I'm an idiot here.

with the co2 argon mix the more argon the flatter and more penetration you get, I used straight argon in my MIG the other day aad it was nearly impossible to weld exhaust tube, it just burnt right though. 

I have an F size cylinder here, it was last tested in 1999 if you want to try your luck on getting it tested

• Like 1

with the co2 argon mix the more argon the flatter and more penetration you get, I used straight argon in my MIG the other day aad it was nearly impossible to weld exhaust tube, it just burnt right though. 

I have an F size cylinder here, it was last tested in 1999 if you want to try your luck on getting it tested

Is this a owner bottle? did you wana sell it? cheers rusty

interesting, i was told i needed to use str8 Argon in my mig for using silicone bronze wire....... might have a go with argon sheild next time i am doing thin panel work.

You need straight argon for silicon bronze wire, it dosn't work very well with mix, i tried.