Welded while battery still plugged in.

Mitchfromhillcrest

Welded my exhaust together connected to the car while the battery was still connected.

Nooooooob moment I had.

Now a little while since then Ive noticed my indicators don't work, horn doesn't toot and the battery doesn't charge. 

The battery light is on in the dash.

Should i go over the car and re do the earths to the battery?

No fuses are blown though.

Have you confirmed that you are getting no voltage out of the alternator with a multimeter? Test off the alternator terminals if you can to eliminate the possibility of there being a wiring fault between the alternator and the battery.

• Like 1

Has a flat battery so will need to jump start and see.

You sure this isn't your problem. I am suprised that a mig welder would do that kinda damage to those circuits.

Welders can damage sensitive circuits such as ECU's especially O2 Sensor circuits which run very low voltage and are connected to the exhaust. Battery can act as a giant voltage / heat sink and can actually help reduce potential damage. Induced voltages are also a potential hazard.

Jump starting is a more common method of blowing alternator diodes or voltage regulators from my experience...

• Like 3

You sure this isn't your problem. I am suprised that a mig welder would do that kinda damage to those circuits.

Welders can damage sensitive circuits such as ECU's especially O2 Sensor circuits which run very low voltage and are connected to the exhaust. Battery can act as a giant voltage / heat sink and can actually help reduce potential damage. Induced voltages are also a potential hazard.

Jump starting is a more common method of blowing alternator diodes or voltage regulators from my experience...

I will charge the battery and then test the alternator and see where the issue lies tomorrow after work.

Im not sure if the welding did any damage, other than make my dash LCD clock work again....

• Like 1

Have you checked all the fuses? Not just in the in-car fuse box but also under the bonnet fusebox?

Not knowing what car it is - I am merely assuming it has two fuse boxes. LOL

Oh hahah it's just an 82 golf gti . Has only one fuse box/relay panel. Ceramic fuses are all good none are blow . I am charging the battery today and will see if it's got juice later today. It's still under warranty I think too.

Charged battery

Alternator isn't charging

Horn still not working and neither are indicstors

Indicstors have a new relay

No fuses are blown no melted wires anywhere

Earthing points have Been sanded back to steel and all battery connections buffed up.

That's about as far as my knowledge goes with electrical shit.

Fuck knows what's going on

Swapped my v r for one out of a spare alt I had.

It charges now got a horn and indicators too.

But then indicators flash to fast which I think means it's earth from the fuse box is dirty or faulty. But then again i don't know much lol

Good shit brah.

As Rodjah says, check bulbs, also check flasher unit, could have somehow got included in the mixup, do hazards flash normally? (preeeetty sure they run off a separate flasher unit, could try swapping 'em over.)

Ceramic fuses, like these?
41PEdlewnBL._SY300_.jpg

if so they are terrible things, quite often the cure to circuits not working is to wiggle the right fuse as the contacts corrode slightly, pop them out and clean up all the contacts, just don't touch them with sandpaper, you don't want to scratch off any plating, I find a dry rag does the trick for 6 months or so