gettinroundtuits 73 avenger discussion

gettinroundtuit

Hi, here you all can discuss my 'efforts' to turn an old mans only car into something respectable.

Plans are to make it move faster than a lethargic snail & look good doing it. Engines under way slowly, bored & stroked avenger motor is the plan- yea could've gone jap, lots of options there but thats easy, like the idea of it all looking period to confuse people when they want to know how it goes so fast

• Like 2

Hah, I had almost considered rolling in to the house this thing had been parked outside on Nelson St a few times to ask to buy it. My first car was an Avenger. I've driven past this and seen it around several times.

Do you have a grill for it? Part of me likes the rough and ready look without one but another part of me wishes it still had one.

It looks good though man, keep up the good work.

• Like 2

lol, when you see it there that means daughter has swiped it again- she'd rather drive that than her mums camry. I've got 3 grills that i can use to make 1 good 1, stuff like that is less of a priority compared to new shocks just fitted for last weeks w.o.f & sorting bits for the make over, ie sierra 5 speed with an aftermarket bellhousing, scored a kelford cam, gt head, twin strombergs, new exhaust from the block back, updating the seatbelts to retractables in the front, the back retractables need a cert, fixing dents/upholstery etc- then theres the biggest bitch of a job- getting the heater to NOT squeal when the fan starts rubbing somewhere at higher speeds/head winds.

Next years goal is to paint it, we're still debating colour partly cos im sticking with the original red interior cos its still tidy, so it might stay white

Hi Joker, yep thats me, was only going to be a tweak up of a spare motor, but........... we figured that if we're gonna build a motor up then lets give it some grunt- theres a bit of knowledge down here from a few x race/rally guys on what we could do, the word turbo was mentioned at 1 stage but the discovery of the toyota crank being a viable route to stretching the capacity  we're running with that option, sourcing a suitable gt head & kelford cam helps too.

The sierra box has a skip brown bellhousing & come with pretty much everything needed to fit it but the extension housing hasn't been cut yet, the car it came out of had a hole cut for the gear lever otherwise it'd be in. Scored it from trademe a while ago from waiheke island.

Where am i going with it? Aiming for a fast road car that can hold it's own at teretonga at a track day & gymkhana/sprint & hillclimb it occassionaly 

• Like 2

O yay........ finally get motor to behave & be docile round town ( i hope), now it sounds like i've got some new tunes from the diff. Only got the last tuneless drone fixed last month- wheel bearings. 

Holidays start tomorrow guess i'll be raiding the spare shell soon & see what kind of surprise lurks under its bum.

• 2 months later...

Gearbox is away gettin welded after i cut it up the other day, should be back after easter. Should make a difference on the longer runs north, still be stuck with the 2nd gear crawl up the kilmog. Wornout old lump still revs easily but the torque does a disappearing act past @ 3500-4000.

Got offered a 4AGZE last weekend- tempting......., x race donk standard internals could push a starlet to its limiter @ 140 mph 1/2 way down teretongas main straight, it was bloody quick.

Except for the scarcity of the 2Y crank i think rebuilding the old iron lump will be cheaper.......

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...