Moped NZ's fs50 Build

Mop Head

Saw this pop up in a buy/sell/swap group on Faceballs last week for next to nothing. I ignored it for a few days and decided I'd go see it if it was still there on the weekend. Low and behold! It was. So here she is:

IteKznw.jpg

She was running on pick up but was last used on a farm so the engine and such was super dirty. 

CNoMYQQ.jpg

Slowly took the plastics off. Plan on ditching the rear plastics but I'm gonna try fix up the front legshield, or source another one if possible. Sadly the fs50 legshields seem to be few and far between. Not even reproduced anymore, unlike the fa50 or fz50 ones which can still be sourced pretty easily. 

iWfSJoJ.jpg

And that was as far as I got on the day of pick up. Got back to it last night and she's running again. Planning on tidying up a few things like the wheels, exhaust, filter. Get her road legal shortly and ride through the summer before giving her the royal treatment next year. 

• Like 3

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers man! This was just in the local one for Tauranga. Haven't stumbled upon any decent scooter groups yet as far as parts and selling/sharing is concerned. 

Been looking at expansion chambers, a new shorter rear shock and a nice filter from Aliexpress. Will see how much fun can be had on a summer budget!

She'll be bought back to life and made into her own, but nothing will be chopped. The parts for this model are a bit more difficult than it's cousins, not sure why.

It does have an epic 2 speed auto box, accelerates smoothly then at about 25/30kph there is a small lull and it suddenly zooms off chasing the late 40's. 

Shopping list at present:

Filter: http://bit.ly/1IR6j2i

There is another young dude around here who had one up for sale for about $550, but he's convinced on keeping it now. So probably would need a few more Benjamins to pry it off him. Decent plastics, yellow, rego'd.

good, good. yeah my fz was the same, my record was about 55km/h no mods and a whole lot of weight reduction. even rarer of the F series is the FY50, never seen one in nz tho.
those wheels look similar to the Honda chaly wheels, are they three piece? you should look at yahoo jp auctions for some wide wheels, come in sweet sizes

• Like 1

I've just had it up to 35MPH indicated n the speedo, so up around that mark. It's a cool little gear box on it. 

The wheels are similar in style to the Chaly. But as it's not chain driven I think i'd run into a few problems. I'll be running with the standard rims. They're off now and ready to be cleaned up before I send them to the powder coaters.

AchHzTr.jpg

Just bought a pair of Michelin S1's and some white walls, so we'll see how the shipping fairies work out over the holiday period. Gone up a size, originally had 2.75 front and 3.00 rear. Now it will have 3.00 front and 3.50 rear. 

michelin-s1_tyre_large.png

Here's where I found the white walls:  http://ebay.to/1NTCSgx

Oh mint, that's less than I would have thought!!

My factory one has no damper effect left, plenty of spring bounce though haha

I've got a nice stock shock from a 125cc Bergman, but it's too long for my scoot and doesn't have the travel to be shortened enough.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Introducing old mate AZ50: 

nvKNh6F.jpg

And the barely used engine: 

66A77KI.jpg

And again:

aBwlnPx.jpg

Here's to some progress. Picked up this pretty gutted AZ50 for $120 and she'll be the new power plant for the FS50. Should be a fun little project now it has some momentum. Will still hang on to the old 2 speed fs50 engine and hopefully give it an overhaul one day. But with this beast available so cheap, and being a Suzuki, I couldn't help but want to mix old and new. 

It won't be everyone's cup of tea. But here's to 12v and moooaaarrr poooowaaaar.

• Like 1

I thought so, I brought the Sepia I striped for bits from her.
Wanted this too but at the time she wouldn't go under $250 for it and it wasn't worth it to me lol

I've got a rear wheel or 3 here, probably other parts you could use too.

Mines prefacelift so most of the front plastics are different.
Could actually be interested in the storage bin and it's seal and likely other parts I doubt you'd use on the FS.

Edit: Looks like I'd need the fuel and oil tanks to suit the storage bin, my fuel filler isn't under the seat at all!

Absolutely mate, sounds good. As you say, I won't really be using any of the frame or panels, or the seat/storage compartment. It's pretty massive. Will get it cleaned off during the week and see where I'm at. 

Cheers Raizer! Will probably require your expertise as time wears on!

• Like 1