Guypie's Wife's 1986 Corolla GT Discussion

Guypie

Got a fuel pump out of a AE82 Blue Top here, know it's a goody as I drove it home and gave it a rite good thrashing.

I never thought the day would come when a 5 door Corolla FWD would be a desirable old school car.

Don't get me wrong it's great, always thought the 4AG FWD was way better that every one else thought it was, sort of Toyota's Mini if you like.

I own a 4 door (AE80) myself that I'm slowly butchering into something more than Toyota ever intended.

the thing I like the most about this is that its in the main project thread trololololololol

/good jerb, miss my GT liftback

• What we can agree on is that anything made before November 1986 is definitely what we would call oldschool in NZ - this was the date when the government changed from black plates to white plates.

its got black plates, XD

• What we can agree on is that anything made before November 1986 is definitely what we would call oldschool in NZ - this was the date when the government changed from black plates to white plates.

its got black plates, XD

i dont disagree, also speeno said they were oldschool so its official

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard from someone that it is not worth getting iridium/platinum spark plugs, just to get copper ones and replace them every 10,000 when you do an oil change.

I know the silvertop is specified for iridium or better but how important is this? Basically Im a cheapo, but if it does matter I will splash out on the $130 or so for fancy schmancy spark plugs

Nice work and a 4age mint I love those engines!!!! We trashed the crap outa one in a old 84 sedan dragged it, skidded it, even a few laps round puke and it never gave up. If you don't mind me asking how much is something like that worth these days?

I paid $800 for this, theres one on trademe for $3700. Tell 'im 'es dreamin mate. Probably worth somewhere in the middle for a good runner i guess?

Did compression test and sparkplugs today.

Compression came out at 1: 170 2: 175 3: 170 4: 178

Changed plugs, fired up, still running on 3, sounds better than before though.

Pulled lead number 4 and no change. checked for spark on number 4 and it was there.

Do fuel injectors go bad if sitting too long/start attempts on ancient fuel?

Any suggestions?

Also number 4 seems a little oily inside.

• 2 weeks later...

Too late to be any use to you now man, but years ago my old man had to replace the fuel pump in his 87 Corona Amon as this thing had done something like 500,000 k's plus, and I seem to recall there was an access panel under the back seat to get it out and save having to remove the tank. Now I'm only basing this on my hazy memory as this was done 15-20 years ago, but it'd be interesting to know if this is the case for your car too.

So feel free to lift your back seat base and any possible sound deadening material and tell me if my memory is shit mate! Cheers..

Yeah, there is a panel under the back seat, but it only accessed the fuel sender, the pump was separate.

Just been trying to research lowering springs, apparently kings are too soft and jamex are ok but not great. So that tells me what not to get hahaha

• Like 1