Out Of Style Always Broke 1960 VW Beetle Discussion

KKtrips

1960 has to have at least static 3-point belts in the front. If it was sold new in NZ then factory mounts should be fine - no cert needed.

If mounts have been relocated or modified then a cert would be needed

The WOF rules for seatbelts/anchorages are here

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/vehicle-interior/seatbelts-and-seatbelt-anchorages

I'd ask the WOF man why a cert is needed if the mounts are stock - you may need to find another beetle to compare it with.

• Like 1

Hey everyone have had no internet haha, cheers for all your advice, i found the chassis number under rear seat they obviously didn't look hard enough. Im getting plates made up as they said it needs them and im going to play dumb and say i forgot to put them in and there the original ones. i guess thats not to bad if they do need a cert but ill make sure they dont need one haha, yea $50 is up there but really only failed on 2 things which is pretty good wait till u see what ive done on it to get it to wof stage.

• Like 2

We are getting Jason Gibbs to do them. He done shakotoms set of adjusters and he's not running spindles and if I remember hearing at like 70mm off the ground with out drop spindles. With more room to go and rides smooth. Thomas please respond if I'm in correct.

• Like 1

I personally would avoid drop spindles unless your narrowing a beam. Both Jason and I don't have them and we are fairly low...

Actually I just scampered out to the garage and measured - 65mm to front pan head and that's only wound about halfway down... Rides pretty good considering I haven't aligned it properly because it won't go on the alignment hoist at work :)

Tiny bit of bumpsteer, but I think that's down to rear toe more than the front end as my fronts pretty stiff compared to yours greg

Reason I chose not to go with dropped spindles is because I didn't want the increase in track width and I'm glad I didn't because it rubs a fair bit as is.

Only downside to this, is that the steering arms hit on the fuel tank occasionally over big bumps. (Can be sorted by spacing tank up or clearancing tank with a hammer/notch)

That being said, I'm looking into narrow beam/spindles next year

If your up in Auckland, feel free to come visit!

Sweet pic of mine by Dorian!

12314192_344055842385171_552729467781382

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...