MGD

Okay so i'm sure you're all familiar with this car....

post-20059-0-03997400-1448353631_thumb.jpg

I saw it on Trademe a couple of months ago and it wasn't far from home so i decided i had to have it. Got in touch with Jake and set up a time to go and have a look. I jumped in my ute with a mate and we head over. Eventually found the place, checked out the wagon and a after a quick driving lesson and loading up a ute full of spare parts we were off back home.

The thing was so low it looked cool as fuck. But when my mate who was following in my ute said that it was throwing sparks out the back, and when I couldn't back it out of my shed, I thought i'd better put in some slightly longer cutties... god damn practicality.

Next thing I wanted to check out was the air filters because I couldn't feel any suction at all, and as I thought they were pretty dirty. Shot down to Repco and got the only air filter they had the were narrow enough to fit between the carb and the strut tower, and after much modification to the backing plate, I now had twin ram flows

This made the wagon run pretty rough, and since I was planning to take it to Brits at the Beach that weekend i googled all sorts of carb balancing/tuning instructions and did the best I could to get it drivable. Also adjusting the timing was a big help.

I got a new head unit and tidied up the speaker wiring in anticipation for by far the longest drive i had taken the triumph on.

All set, off to Brits at the Beach with my mate in his '71 Avenger, walkie talkies in hand. Got there very slowly with no issues at all.

post-20059-0-90988400-1448354222_thumb.jpg

Not everyone there was a fan of our cars but who cares right.

post-20059-0-28537700-1448354327_thumb.jpg

Back home after the show and very quickly realised I needed some flashier mags. A bit of searching and found something i liked with in my budget.

post-20059-0-24230400-1448354799_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately they're BBS reps which makes me look a bit silly having a sticker that says "fake splits can fuck off" 

mean while i was still playing with the mixture trying to get a better tune.

A few trips out of town soon made me realize Im not a huge fan of exhaust fumes so I had a new exhaust made and a few hundred dollars later no more leaks.

A slow day at home i decided i paint the rocker cover racing red.

post-20059-0-31793800-1448354884_thumb.jpg

Jumped on the lathe at work and made a little shiny dildo shifter and a couple spikes to go the the rocker cover studs.

post-20059-0-24427500-1448354934_thumb.jpg

Decided I wanted to tint the head lights yellow so I went ahead and did it, not every ones cup of tea I guess but its also not everyone's car.

post-20059-0-62071200-1448355002_thumb.jpg

Desperately wanted the chrome surround on the front windscreen seal so I got a new rubber off Rimmer Bros (as well as some other parts) and took it to a guy in to get it changed. Made it look alot nicer I think.

post-20059-0-53464400-1448355075_thumb.jpg

I got a little rev counter and put it where the not working clock was. Brought a sub woofer for a little more doof doof since the 6x9s in the back were blown. Did a rough repair on the speedo cable to get that up and running. Put in a new fuel level sensor because that thing didnt know which way was up (Still doesnt, if any one knows why please let me know) and set the valve clearances which were really far out on some of them (0.040")... No more ticks

And at last my not so creative mind came up with a theme to replace Legit Splits. Being from the heart of the South Waikato...

Waikato Draught it is "Support Your Local"

post-20059-0-67226600-1448355331_thumb.jpg

post-20059-0-21885500-1448355468_thumb.jpg

Had some stickers made, stuck them on. And that pretty much brings us to now. Cars running Average - Good, looking alot like I want it to look, and with out a doubt keeping me busy and entertained.

Next thing to do is shocks and springs because the shocks are fucked and theres no point putting in new ones if the springs are gonna fuck them up again. So Im currently in the process of sorting that out.

Keep watching this space

• Like 6