Moped Nz's v50 Build

Mop Head

I collected the v50 today. First 2 stroke project for me and I plan to keep this one a bit more standard than the c50 build (see here: http://bit.ly/1OkbVkS).

Here she is loaded into the back of the wagon, on the way to the big scary WOF building:
cOikKi8.jpg

sxft0IQ.jpg

Well, that wasn't so scary at all. Sorted.

After a wet drive home and barely a drop of oil as she lay on the side, it was time to get a couple of pics before the light disappeared.

Wheel-less so it fit in the car: 
gUAcZWf.jpg

VJdnCRV.jpg

The bits and pieces:

vD28z29.jpg

I've got a new legshield and few repro items coming for it shortly. It's fairly solid so it'll make for an easy tear down.

Not sure what will happen next, but updates will come soon.

• Like 5

Cheers guys, excited to join the v50 club. 

Going to finish an order with the Thai Yamaha dude next week so I can get this old girl running like new again. 
I've noticed this is part of the y80/y100 Yamaha mate family. In Thailand they actually produced a Yamaha Mate 111 model for a few years there and they still exist. Had me thinking.....

• Like 2

Got a whole bunch of stuff being finalised today with the order for parts. Hopefully will get time this week to tear it down completely. 

I decided to use some of the cool Thai 'mate' badges, among other things:
X5lY1Zz.jpg
MQ2d25d.jpg
As you can see, a few Mate parts going into it. Colours will be different for a few things. But now that's out of the way it's time to focus on the actual situation at hand.

(If anyone needs v50 stuff I can try tack it onto this order I'm doing. Send me a message and we'll figure it out.)

• Like 2

After scoring an epic deal with my bunch of parts, I finally find a spare hour this evening after work to start tearing the mighty v50 back to her shell.

Here's a few photos. Notice the horrible rattle can job slowly disappearing and letting the original paint shine through. 

Before:
kqGDcfi.jpg

During:
qlIkxjw.jpghttp://

After:

IwYCO53.jpg

• Like 3

Trying to decide on new wheels for the v50. Usually I'm a spoke guy through and through, but I've been considering a mag option as I have access to them. 

WWYD? What would you do?

1 - Black front and rear standard rims with polished hubs
2 - Mags from any of the pics below

3 - Black front and rear standard rims with black hubs (as per the bottom right photo)

These are the wheels I'm considering below, along with the colour scheme inspiration for the bike. (Enid the crooked nose stripper: http://thebikeshed.cc/2014/12/20/enid-crooked-nosed-stripper/)

VVfgOdK.jpg

Yeah I'm thinking the same ones. They are a bit wider too. 1.60 front and 1.85 rear where as the others are 1.40/1.60. The extra width would be nice.

Yeah! Cub toilet seats are all the rage in the UK at the moment. I think I'll stick with the bench seat. Haha.

I vote spokes :)

Got an example of the look you are going for? 

No example really, I like the colour scheme of the nitro c90 above. But I have an idea in my head I hope to accomplish before I change my mind again.  :) 

Would do black rims, spokes and hubs if I was to go the spokes route. 

So! Things progressing on this a little. Sorted a head/block/cylinder kit for the bike from a PW80. Will have some fun with that when it arrives, looks like the last person who had it running wasn't too fond of a filter so the carb and such are filthy, hope to rip it all apart this week for a proper look inside.

Got a friend in Malaysia to sort an exhaust for me, didn't cost the end of the earth. A genuine v50 exhaust is $168 with another $122 for shipping. This is about $50-70 excluding shipping, which I don't imagine will break the bank either since it's the actual cost and not inflated via eBay.

Smiling ear to ear at the moment!
z4pc4YS.jpg

• Like 2

GuysWithAviators now has the front guard. Success. 

The exhausts are available to see online, I went down a deep dark maze of Malaysian and Thai websites but none of them ship internationally. Ended up just sending a pic of what I wanted to a friend who lives in Malaysia. He called his local supplier and picked one up. I can get more sorted if need be. It's about $150 all in with shipping. Typical, shipping is more expensive than the part, but still cheaper than the genuine exhaust. 

Man this makes want to actually pull finger and get mine registered haha. This is going to be pretty bloody rad when its complete. 

Think I may have to get myself one of those exhausts too. Are they available only somewhere?

The world needs more v50's, would love to see yours being built mate.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...