Jordon Drome Project

Jordon KE...

So time for another project!! On the weekend i was thinking of a project that i could be a bit more creative and rat style with so thought i might dabble with a velo bike. Just so happens that on Monday i found an old Honda GX140 powered generator, 3.7kw 144cc. Been lying around for years and probably hasn't been started for several. Took the opportunity and made a deal. 

So i took it home gave it a clean up, removed the genie put some petrol in there and pulled the chord... wishful thinking that it would fire up. Bled the carb, checked the spark, topped up the oil and still no go. Im going to drain the oil and replace it, change the plug and try again. next ill clean the carb.

Does anyone have any advice on what could be causing it not to fire or dealt with these engines before. Its turning over fine has a bit of resistance as you try to start it, just doesn't seem to be firing. 

Working on a style at the moment, have a few ideas but nothing set on paper yet. Want to get the motor going and get some wheels then go from there. 

• Like 2

it seems spark is the most mysterious out of the required things for bang bang, and isnt always the same under comp as it is on the bench.

maybe hand choke it for a couple pulls till you get a wet palm to make sure carb is doing something?

/check plug after starting attempts, if it's wet go back to spark etc

• Like 1

Changed spark plug... Still no go, poured some more petrol into the spark plug hole and holly shit something happened. Stripped down the carb went to joes and cleaned out the stem that runs into the bowl,mhad a yarn and came up with a few ideas for the bike. Left the lovely broad meadows And reassembled carb. Pumped some fuel in her and bang bang she runs.

Was getting a bit late to run an engine especially with no exhaust so will have another play tomorrow

• Like 2

Question.

you said it was a generator, what was attached to the taper?

My motor was from a genny, had a tapered shaft, and a longish piece that attached to the rotor of the genny, I cut it off, and just bolted it back on.....

hard to explain. you can always come check out my bike for ideas.

Haha no tapered welding, I have sorted the drive, machined up a sleeve with a keyway. The output shaft is tapered then steps up to a parallel shaft, i have chopped the tapered part off and will weld my sleeve onto the parallel section of the out put shaft. This means i now have a 1.00" shaft with a 0.25" key.

Downside is if the seal leaks i'm probably screwed. I wouldn't think it would ever be a problem, might replace it before welding