How do I get brake drum off

piazzanoob

In my kp starlet I've been trying to get the brake drums off

I've got the L/H side off by tapping it with the hammer took awhile though

But the R/H one won't budge I've fully de adjusted the shoes tapped the hell out of it with a big hammer

Tried hitting it from behind with a punch also.

4t03e2od.dia.jpg

Although it does appear to be damaged around the locating hub which I think is what is stopping it from coming off.

If the brakes are backed off then the drum should come off without too much hassle. (I presume the drum rotates freely?)

But if the locating hub is damaged then heat ain't going to do shit except make it worse by fucking up the drum, If the hub is damaged then push/whack the drum back on, then carefully file/grind off any burrs or ridges on the hub. 

Once the hub is clear of burrs then spray a dose of CRC around the locating hub and drum face. Also clamp off the brake hose on the side you have the drum off (or put the drum back on) and whack the brake pedal a few times to centralize the drum.

Then give it a solid whack with a decent club hammer (a sledge may damage shit so be a bit careful with that) I would hit it about as hard as energetically hitting a nail in home - perhaps a little more but not running up and swinging spec.

• Like 4

Some drums have two threaded holes that you can use. Screw bolts in and it pushes the drum off. I guess you could drill two holes, and thread it with a bottom tap and that could work. Kinda last resort stuff though.

• Like 3

Remember the hub is directly up against the drum face, so would be difficult/impossible to drill and tap

Edit: The hub centre is the culprit, if you can rotate the drum a little back and forth within the free space around the studs (does that make sense?) then that ring definetly needs cleaning up. No two ways

Edit Edit: I can see the mushrooming in your pic!

• Like 3

Use a gear puller.

I've been in this situation before so I modified my gear puller by making some longer/splayed out legs which grabbed the back edge of the drum.

There's usually a bit of a lip at the back of the drum (closest to diff) to grab. Kind of like this but the regular legs/jaws will probably foul on the drum.

upimg7%5CMember_497727.jpg

• Like 1

Heat fucks up brake drums....

Well that's new. I thought they worked on friction.

The metal on the face of the drum is typically fairly thin and more susceptible to heat and can warp (which is the part you will need to heat as that is the part that is sticking) whereas the outer circumference where the brake shoes run is thicker and the heat dissipates more easily.

• Like 2

Good point.

Thankfully heat doesn't conduct through steel.

Heat the whole thing.

Don't heat it red hot!

Grab the coefficient of expansion ofF Google just for giggles.

File mushrooming first and formost as mof and trips said though. Solid advice. (As said above)

• Like 2

So I ended up getting the drum off

I blasted the shit out of it with the propane torch and no didnt get it red hot as not advised

Ended up using a solid drift and hammer and smang dat while rotating the drum every couple of smangs

And worked a treat

Also find out it helps if you have someone to help you for some unknown reason.

Cheers for the ideas guys!

• Like 2