oldrx7's - 1981 - Mazda 626

oldrx7

• 3 months later...

So ....

I'm back in NZ again, went to pick up the 626 and it looks like the alternator has packed it in.  All hazard warning lights are on in the dash and it only drives a short distance before it dies.

Have a 2nd hand one on the way, so hopefully that arrives soon and then it can be driving again and then I'll sort a WOF this coming week.

Did a bit of cleaning and fit the all important plate surround just cos;

a5degm.jpg

sddzbn.jpg

After that difficult job was done I had a beer and shut the shed door.

discussion thread;

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/50482-oldrx7s-1981-mazda-626-discussion/#entry1603115

• Like 5

Been a productive saturday morning;

Got an alternator on friday afternoon, swapped it over and boom, no more warning lights on the dash and the battery isn't f-kd which is awesome cos I thought it would of been.

Took it down to the garage this morning & booyah!  Fresh WOF, only a couple of minor things he noted to look at between now and the next wof, so pretty stoked it passed.

20r64x5.jpg

I had also bought some wheels a few weeks ago, and they also showed up this week too!

63roy0.jpg

Had to laugh at the box they arrived in, sadly they aren't work wheels.  But they're close!

jh9d0l.jpg

haha!!!

They had been advertised as 16" 4x114 astrons, I was gonna run adapters, and I was stoked to find some in 16" as I thought 17" would look too big and 15's would look too small on the car.

Once I opened up the box I realised they were in fact 15" , so I thought I'd check the stud pattern too to see if they were wrong about that also.  And yep they sure were, and lucky for me they are 4x110, so no adapters needed.   Tried them on to make sure they'd clear the brakes and indeed they do.

So kind of mixed feelings, happy they fit, also a bit bummed they're not 16's.  

Oh well, will get some tyres and see how they look, should look decent once it's lowered.  

14dlpx2.jpg

so next up is some suspension bits n pieces.  Not in a big hurry but will look around and price up a few options.

diss-cuss

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/50482-oldrx7s-1981-mazda-626-discussion/#entry1603115

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

And another thanks to Archetype for another sticker I got made up for the doors;

taxi_logo_sml.jpg

And was getting a bit sick of the bouncy cut springs, plus it'll be WOF time again before I know it, so figured now's a good time to properly sort a few suspension bits n pieces.

These are the cuts (1 front and 1 rear) vs the standard height springs, will be taking these to Archers and get them to make something up about the cut height 

IMG_5306.jpg

IMG_5305.jpg

Got the struts out, will have to trim down the front bump stops a bit, as the cut spring height was pretty much on the bump stops

Sourced some new shocks from Autostop, ended up being quite a bit cheaper than all the other suspension places I tried.  Never heard of VST before, but oh well, almost half the price of Munro shocks so based on price along, I'm sure they'll be great!

IMG_5261.jpg

And while I was under there, I had a check of a few of the bushes, will probably end up replacing a few if not all of them.  I also noticed that the passenger side control arm looks like its taken a hit.  Nothing else under or around here looks like it's been repaired or twisted, so maybe it just wacked a rock or something once.  

Will source a 2nd hand one from somewhere and swap this out.

IMG_5308.jpg

Discussion thread;

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up the new springs from archers yesterday; fingers crossed they're as low as I asked ... Always nervous when ordering one off made springs!

35au1ae.jpg

and pretty much all the ball joints / tie rod ends are stuffed eg;

33a9bhc.jpg

so ordered these in and picked them up today with the lower arm ball joints from auto lign;

2i7mlw8.jpg

And gave the front / rear bump stops a little skim to hopefully get a bit more clearance

2z4jocm.jpg

Still have to shorten the shocks (hopefully get that done this weekend) and waiting on the front bush kit coming in from australia, and then it's re-assemble time.

http://oldschool.co....n/#entry1603115

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So,  finally got this down on the ground again yesterday!  

dvsdo0.jpg

Front springs were sitting way too high, even after driving around for a few km's so I'm taking them back to Archers to either trim properly or get another pair made up.  So the cut springs are back in the front temporarily.

Rear sits perfect though, and the shocks keep everything captive too.

All new front steering bushes, tie rod ends have made it feel like a nicer car to drive too.

May be selling this soon too, will see about garage spacing with the new (older) car.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So finally got springs sorted from Archers ... Went to pick up my replacement front coils two weeks ago and they had given them to someone else and tried to give me a pair that wasn't going to fit, wouldn't believe me that they wouldn't fit, so I drove back home, got my standard front coil and took it back to show them the diameter differences.

So another week later and I finally have captive non-cut front springs.  They sit at the perfect height I was after for too, so WOF's shouldn't be a hassle.

However, while I was under there, I noticed that the inner tie rod ends are rubbing on the steering rod ... So now I know Rx7 inner tie rod arms are no good on a 626.  Outers are fine.

Managed to find some through super cheap though (fingers crossed, on order) so will see if they are good when they show up.

Anyways, picked up some firewood on the weekend, got a few funny looks towing the trailer!!!

520yew.jpg

once this suspension shit is all sorted, I'll put up a parts list with all parts numbers so if anyone else does this mission they'll have some numbers to use when calling 

shops.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so finally sorted all the front suspension / steering out.  Had a mate help me out with changing the last two tie rod ends yesterday.

If anyone is interested ; or doing the same in a 626 here's some part numbers that'l be handy;

Ball Joint (lower arm to strut bottom) - BJ 149

Tie rod end (outer) - TE514L 

Tie rod end (inner) - TE568R

Front suspension Bushes (complete kit) 

Lost the receipt that I got with the shocks though - but they were easy enough to source, Autostop prooved to be the cheapest for me.

SPF0433K

SPF2005K

SPF1256K

SPF2092BK

SPF0628-24K

Had to use 'onautos' on trademe who ships out of Australia in order to get the Inner tie rod ends and the complete front bush kit (other places would only do bits n pieces).

Fresh WOF as of yesterday and now after all the hard work ... :( ready to sell .  Don't have long term garage space for both the old cars so gotta sell this one.  

2hgutya.jpg

• Like 3