Gozza's '68 Mk1 Trumpet

Gozza

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Truth is, I was under the impression they were supposed to be forged but since I've googled them I'm not now so sure... they were supplied by the machinist in Christchurch. The brand seems ok but if anyone has anything to add about Nural brand pistons id be pleased to hear. Can see the part number in that pic...

• 1 month later...

Hey there. Looking good. Very interested in following how you approch the EFI (as I'm sure a few other trump nutters on this fine forum will be)

SO MORE UPDATES please !  :-)

Remember I have your next mk1 Cosworth six race engine outside 'conditioning' so it'll be aged suitably for big horsepowers.... 

• 4 weeks later...

It might be clean now, but let's not kid ourselves... the secret is not filling it with oil!

Hi Alex, I'm sorry I haven't been over to collect the F1 motor, I hope it's still in the pristine condition I left it in;) 

My approach to this EFI thing will be to be as careful as possible putting everything together, then taking most of it off for the run in. First runs will be with the MS controlling spark and with all sensors connected but without any of the fuel related items. I'll just chuck a set of carbs on for a start... figure that's the safest on a new motor with so many other new and untested things.

Much to learn

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Hi there great to see the work you've done on your mk1 - better than new I reckon.  I've had a mk1 and now have a stag and a Toledo. Stag is a runner but needs tidying but I'm working on the Toledo at the moment which I'm about to reshell once I've got it stripped.  How did you go about stripping your suspension parts ? Andwhatpaint did you paint them with?

looking forward to hearing more on your mk1, will really fly once you get the Eli sorted.

• 1 month later...

This bit.. 

"Cant fucking believe it... I just made a computer and so far all the smoke is still inside it somewhere!" 

Yeah it's a cool feeling. Such a neat thing to start with a bag of bits and send up with a working ecu. Building your car, not buying it. Great way to learn how the thing works too.  

Did you end up going to see Stuart? Top fella him. Helpful as. 

• Like 3

top work man, i have a EFI head & manifold etc that im pondering installing in my ute to get rid of the pesky single carb.

Whats holding me back is the controller side of it, i get mechanical stuff but complex electrical stuff is little a bit like magic to me

I keep looking at twin sideys, (they go great in my sedan, and the dooorts, oh my) but for almost the same money going mega + EDIS seems like the ideal solution.

Im just scared of my stupid sausage fingers and all those tiny little thingees + a soldering iron and cocking it all up leaving me with an expensive pile of scrap.

Hi Alex, yep caught up with Stuart and agree he’s a GC... 

Had my list of questions all written down and he clarified all quite well and steered me in the right direction. Will probably have to get a little more advise as I start getting closer to starting the thing but so far it’s all good.

That bag of bits was pretty daunting but once the basics are understood it actually starts to make sense... kind of!

Azzurro, I have salami fingers that shake like an out of balance helicopter so you’d probably be able to far exceed my standard by a reasonably healthy margin!

You can probably do what I’ve done quite cheaply if you scavenge the parts and do all the machining yourself. 

I bought all the sensors, pump etc brand new and farmed out the machining to a good shop. All in I’ve dropped about 3k on the EFI which is a hell of a lot all things considered but I know it’s all new good quality stuff... I figured that I didn’t want to be questioning whether or not any of my inevitable problems were caused by my work or shit sensors/plugs etc.

the bonus was that I’ve been collecting all the bits slowly over two years so I’ve hardly noticed it...

Al, I did it all the hard way with paint stripper, acid wash for the rust... never again... It took fucking ages and did my head in. If I ever do it again everything will go to the sandblasters. 

For paint I used Resene Industrial 440 etch primer and Acrathane 805 topcoat. Totally recommend this for anything... painted an engine with it too and it still looks mint after 5000 miles. Top stuff

• 2 months later...

Bloody good work Steve! So stoked for you and seeing the smile a mile wide on your face when you rocked up unannounced at our place this afternoon said it all. Fuck its a cool car and damn it sounds so lush! The video I posted does not do the sound justice at all.

Here's some other pics I took...

20181111_163901.jpg.23715ef8f4b4d19282f06ee4e053654d.jpg20181111_163908.jpg.0b22208c4b10d13240c7ab4e7fb82e33.jpg20181111_172249.jpg.c415141ae38ef186d241d5efaf39f491.jpg20181111_172255.jpg.6e09bbb1205d2302765aa0afe2e094ef.jpg20181111_172735.jpg.ac875e1295f486506c3e743588528734.jpg20181111_191248.jpg.60149529385865989762a34553467250.jpg

My day is complete..I'm spent.  Firstly a customers sweet as Chevette with a 12a Bridgy comes in for work and then you turn up with the Trumpet. Fizzing. What a lovely day to be a  petrolhead :-)

• Like 4

You were supposed to be working on the ignition table not taking pictures of my ugly mug!

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer all my stupid questions Alex, and for a reasonable amount of the inspiration to give it a crack after watching the viva build...

I’m pretty stoked with how it goes so early on and really looking forward to getting it spot on.

Cheers for the pics..

• Like 1

• 1 year later...