Gozza's '68 Mk1 Trumpet

Gozza

Went and bought a timing light and learnt how to use it. Fuck what a difference!

It's no rocket, but I did manage a little skid coming out of a roundabout and I'm not sure what made me grin the most between that and lack of twitching from the rear end! The 180B half shafts mod is a success

Also had the exhaust fixed up today, it was all a bit of a mess but all good now so pretty much ready to go for a WOF

• Like 3

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a productive few days tidying up the last few jobs and sorting a few little balls ups.

Ended up with an exhaust leak from a blown manifold gasket. Not sure what I did wrong or if I had a bad gasket but either way I'd bought two so had a spare. Not too hard to change in place either.post-19986-0-56319600-1465615973_thumb.jpeg

Also, one of my newly overhauled rear wheel cylinders started leaking fluid but luckily caught it quickly and saved my new shoes. I had the cylinder done again, and so far it seems ok.....

Had a real quick alignment done also which only got the front toe done. All other angles were OK sort of but not perfect. Might try and find a shop that doesn't mind actually spending a bit of time and care setting it up properly cause I'm sure it would be worth it... Either way, it's much better now and drives awesome.

This morning took it in for a WOF, which it passed sweet as. Pretty stoked

post-19986-0-71294600-1465616807_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Well I've done about a thousand miles in the little trumpy now since I got it back on the road and it's going pretty well. There have been a few leaks and other issues but getting them sorted one by one while still enjoying driving it.

Two of the worst problems are most probably related and will get looked at soon. One is an oil leak from what I am guessing is the rear crank seal housing, probably cause I used too much hylomar on the gasket, and the other is a bit of a juddery clutch that might be caused by said oil leak. Either way the gearbox needs to come out.

A few months ago I bought a couple of overdrive gearboxes that some old boy was getting rid of and I've had them both stripped down, picked the best bits from both, added an overhaul kit from rimmers and now have a good as new J type OD box.

The plan was to mate that to an as yet to be rebuilt 2.5pi donk and swap the whole lot in one go but since I have to pull the box anyway I might put the OD one back in.

Box of leftovers/spares?

post-19986-0-03991200-1471506261_thumb.jpeg

Freshly overhauled J Type OD box

post-19986-0-44117500-1471506236_thumb.jpeg

Just need to get motivated....

• Like 4

Had a productive weekend. Pulled the gearbox on Sunday morning and went in search of my oil leak. Had to remove the clutch and flywheel and also the engine backplate to gain access to the crank seal housing that I thought was leaking. When I got in there it was dry as a bone so back to square one on that... It must be coming from the sump gasket but I was sure it was somewhere further up:(

Anyway, with the old box out of the way I made a start on getting the OD box back in. Not easy by myself with minimal room but managed to wrestle it back in and got it bolted up. Did run into a small problem though in that I didn't realise that there are longer bolts and spacers required to lower the gearbox crossmember and keep things aligned properly. Result is that the new box is too high up at the rear and strikes the floor when bolted up.

Got the bits on the way....

Old and new...

post-19986-0-80107200-1471901894_thumb.jpeg

post-19986-0-14988300-1471911481_thumb.jpeg

post-19986-0-09181200-1471902043_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Last of the parts finally turned up today. Got some Nitrided valves with stellite tips(whatever the fuck that means), new iron guides, seals, and some inserts from a fellow in the UK.

Im having second thoughts about the inserts as I hear they can cause more shit than they prevent. Plan will be to run on avgas because I like the smell of it but if I can't get it then pump gas. 

Anyone got real world advise?

IMG_0512.thumb.JPG.5716810d3c9fb7b64b50d3803f47de93.JPG

Anyway, I'll get these off to  Temuka tomorrow and hopefully a new donk will emerge in short order.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Had a chance to check up on the progress of my new motor today while on the way past Tumuka. Not much to report really but the bottom end has been assembled so that's a start. 

Everything looks pretty good, all nice and shiny and turns pretty easy.

Alex says he will try and make a start on the head next week which will involve the new valves and a bit of cleaning up.

IMG_0860.thumb.JPG.a6eecdc3ef6d38a549852a96c37a6fb9.JPGIMG_0861.thumb.JPG.dc18613c3ce0749200408ca27608494d.JPG

in other breaking news I've found myself utterly confused with options regarding the megasquirt computer and it's plethora of options but think I've settled on what I need. Just a small bit more brain work to figure out what I need to make the Bosch coil pack do what I need and I'll get that on the way too.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Today I gave the old 2000 a fresh sump of oil and a new filter and took it out for a 100km thrash in preparation for pulling the motor and storing it. 

Got the new motor to a point where I just need to fit it to finish up the small tasks...

Cleaned out a bit of space and made a start...

IMG_3585.thumb.JPG.bd50d41a2bda2df11b77e1b9760c5ac8.JPGIMG_3595.thumb.JPG.ef818f3358e9fdfdb330b88aca090628.JPG

• Like 3