Paintless dent repair/metal wizards enter here (motorcycle tank repair)

Berjjj

A recent stuff up of mine has resulted with the below damage

3532sg7.jpg

2sbkffk.jpg

90px6x.jpg

Looks slightly worse in photos, but still bloody gutted as it was mint beforehand!

I'm hoping this could be rectified somewhat without the need for a respray, but if not I'll go that route.

What are my chances? Has anyone had experience with this and would you recommend anyone in particular in Auckland?

Cheers,

Berj

• Like 1

Could empty tank and remove . Then put gas cap back on and remove fuel tap and jam a air gun up the outlet and attempt to pop the dent with compressed air .

I have also heard of someone filling the tank with water and then freezing it . The water expanding when freezing pops the dent out . And also depending on your seams it may blow them out too and you will have bigger issues so unsure on that one .

• Like 3

Could empty tank and remove . Then put gas cap back on and remove fuel tap and jam a air gun up the outlet and attempt to pop the dent with compressed air .

I have also heard of someone filling the tank with water and then freezing it . The water expanding when freezing pops the dent out . And also depending on your seams it may blow them out too and you will have bigger issues so unsure on that one .

Yeah have tried that on a spare tank before (compressed air), never again haha, was waiting for it to rupture but ended up causing a heap of pinhole leaks.

Its going to need to be pulled with some weld in studs, bogged and painted. Paintless dent removal really isn't for shit like that, that steel is stretched pretty bad.

Damn, have stopped by one panelbeater who said to give the PDR guys a shot first. Lighting makes it look stoved in pretty bad there, might as well get a new tank at that point.

Large ball bearing inside and strong magnet outside running around the edge of the dents until they are worked down flat works on brass instruments, might not work so well on a steel tank though but might be worth a try.

Will try that cheers!

How old is it?

PDR guys pretty much refuse to touch old stuff because they reckon they will do more paint damage than it is worth. I wanted to get a couple of little dings pulled out of my car and the guy was too scared.

Bike is 38 years old, I have no idea exactly how old the paint is though, definitely a respray in the last decade unless it was kept in a cave.

Man, definitely just whip the paint off and pull the dent out, you will be lucky and it will actually work, my bobber tank was full of dents and it was made out of 3mm steel so I couldn't get them out haha

It will be like a days work to fix that properly and then it will be mint, most other methods will Fuck the tank.