HOLDEN 6 FAN GARBAGE

CaMpylobacter

Oh hey you jokers. 

Got a grubby 186 in the Landy. My radiator is poppin' geysers here there and everywhere despite smacking a couple of sealwell cubes in it the other day to get through my wedding day driving about. 

So whilst the radiator is out, I'm looking to replace the waterpump that has a tiny bit of play in it (why not, they're cheap and easy to do) but I also have a few other small jobs. 

My main quest is to look into replacing the yuck steel 4 blade fan which is the second noisiest thing about the vehicle (road noise from the tyres is the worst) with something a little quieter. My radiator has been set backwards and down to meet up a little closer with the fan. I can't really move it forward without moving it upwards leaving about a quarter of the fan's diameter below the radiator. I was hoping for this as an easy option to maybe add a vk commy waterpump and viscous fan assembly but that's not really gonna happen. I really don't want to go down the route of making up a full fan shroud to make this happen. 

Currently has one like this

325176087.jpg

Are those nylon or steel 'flexi fans' reasonably quiet in their operation? the one fitted at the mo is super super loud.

129516290_full.jpg

or 

$_1.JPG

trying to stay away from going down the electric route at the moment. 

I haven't done a hell of a lot of running in the thing, and not in hot weather, but the current unshrouded 4 blade with a completely cunted radiator leaves it running without any overheating issues at all (even with a potentially popped headgasket - once it's watertight I'll be able to actually check that hah)

are steel flex fans full on dangerous spec? heard a few yarns about then chucking blades off and shit. 

on the topic of electrics. what's the go to electric fan at the moment? factory fitted to?????

I have the same kind of steel fan on the ltd. I've honestly never heard it.

I have always wondered why they are a X shape rather than a + shape. Anyone know?

So answer must be add more cubes until fan is no longer audible.

Have heard it said that uneven fans are quieter.  Which is why some trucks have 7 bladed fans grouped in 1 lot of 3 and 2 lots of 2.  The X shape is less even than the + shape.

• Like 2

You sure its the fan making all the racket? I'm pretty sure those 4 bladed jobbies would be barely audible at 50mph in a landy with all the other noises going on.

yeah she's a noisey bitch that's for real. but that is the bulk of the noise that I'm not diggin'. 

seems a LOT louder in the fan dept than the blue 202 fan in the other landy was, although that didn't have a roof, I ran it at much higher rpm than this one sees. 

the plastic 6blade ones- i had one in me val ute and it was wasnt too bad but got a bit rowdy when doing heaps revs

electric ones are good apart from anything decent draws a lot of current and you need relays and big wires and stuff

for low maintenance i would use a viscous fan and a decent shroud.

the uneven spacing is something to do with reducing noise by reducing harmonics