Nominal's 1961 Morris Oxford Traveller

Guypie

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Went away camping for a couple of weeks after the last update. Came back the day before anniversary weekend with the objective of finished the rust repair by the end of the weekend.

Just before we went away I'd noticed some rust at the back of the roof where the tail hatch hinges are. Not really sure why this area was rust, I guess a bit of water gets in around the hinge screws. Had to fix both sides.

p1090634.jpg

Got the channels welded around the lower edge of the tailgate, and filled the remaining gaps in the bottom.

p1090641.jpg

Painted inside the frame and the repaired outer skin.

p1090653.jpg

On the final test fit I realised the shape was a bit screwed up so had to cut and re-weld the frame somewhat, then re-prime it before plug-welding the two parts together.

Took farking ages!

• Like 4

Filled the hole at the back of the guard. The shape is a little off but I was in a hurry and it is mostly behind the bumper.

Before

p1090475.jpg

After (1/2 way anyway)

p1090661.jpg

Next up was the drivers side floor which had a few holes.

p1090646.jpg

New floor bit. Had to do this twice as I got the swage orientation all wrong the first time. Swage made on the Nibbler with some home-made dies.

p1090655.jpg

• Like 4

The driver's side sill and underfloor structure wasn't as bad as the passenger side, despite the holes in the floor.

Patch panel bent up. It was much easier to fit this side with the floor section removed.

p1090648.jpg

The outer panels were 'good enough' to weld back in (saved time too)

p1090659.jpg

Sprayed etch primer in all the repaired areas.

p1090666.jpg

So, all the welding was done by Monday night about 11:30 pm.

I had to pick up some wheels from Island Bay on Tuesday and didn't get home until later. Had to reassemble the front (bumper and grille), rear (gas tank, fuel pump, bumper, upper and lower tailgate, and number plate light) and finish the brake lines before a WOF check on Thursday.

Managed to get through all this by late Wednesday (got my son out of bed to help with the bumper bolts even).  Bleeding the brakes was a pain as usual - I'd missed tightening one line fitting so ended up with a mess on the floor.

Quick test run at about 11pm, then gave it a quick hose to allow testing the wipers and stuck it in the garage for the local mechanic to pick up on Thursday.

p1090669.jpg

• Like 5

WOF man picked up the car on Wednesday, and had a few issues with the column change. I haven't driven it much yet but the plane change between 1-2 and 3-4 seems problematic, and seems to hang up somewhere.

Anyway, failed on the following:

- Windscreen washers non-op
- Exhaust leak at manifold/exhaust pipe join (I knew about this but ran out of time to fix it)
- Upper tailgate loose (needs washers under the bolts)
- Leaf spring shackle bushing shagged
- Fuel tank leaking
- Full set of tires.

Also it ran out of gas on the way home so the mechanic had to walk back to our house to get his car - oopsy.

I had a look at the windscreen washers and I can't really see how they were set up originally. I though it would be a manual pump (that's what the owner manual suggests) but I can't see that there was ever one fitted. I have a pump tank hanging around, or I might remove the whole setup as they are not required on pre-1992.

I had only noticed the tank leak when I put it back together this week, so pulled it out again. There must have been water sitting between the tank bottom and the inner floor as there were a few pinholes to address.

p1090673.jpg

Broke out the soldering gear. Haven't refilled it for a test yet, but should be OK.

p1090677.jpg

Also pulled the shackle from one side. Hopefully I can get some bushes from BNT today.

p1090676.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Wowed the Oxford wagon foamers at British Car Day.

Got a couple of contacts for parts, including one who has a Aussie 6-cyl Freeway wagon stashed away.

p1090756.jpg

Also walked pickapart for awhile to find some 185R70 tires for the back which should help the gearing/looks a bit.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Replaced the manky rubber spacer bush in the column shift cross-shaft linkage with a short piece of heater hose. Hopefully this will prevent it falling out again.

Also got an original brochure from the UK ebay.

Quality First - nice to know.

cci_000004.jpg

Moore power!

f1_stitch.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Also OS Nats trip. I bought a roof rack from Seedy Al that didn't exactly fit either way, so I made it fit with a cut and shut.

Drove to work in the rain.

20170330_071218.jpg

Made it to the top of the Rimukatas no worries.

20170330_172840.jpg

Needed an oil topup (hadn't checked it for a while, oops)

20170331_113309001.jpg

Met a cousin.

p1100195.jpg

• Like 7

I pulled a front spring right before Nats to see if a Makita drop would work, but no-go. The lower spring pan is a bolt-on so could possibly be lowered that way, but I was out of time.

p1100180.jpg

p1100178.jpg

I've now removed the upper tailgate and glass (those little screws were holding the glass in place)

p1100212.jpg

The tailgate is from the previous model, so this lock isn't needed on this car

p1100213.jpg

It's a little rusty but way way better than the original one for the car.

p1100269.jpg

• Like 9

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A bit of long roof action...

Last time we saw the roof, @Guypie had stripped it and coated with BlackGuard. The rust was coming back pretty much all over so...

The coating was hard to remove, in the end I used paint stripper on it. 

1/2 done.

p1100358.jpg

There were quite a few rusty lightly pitted areas.

p1100359.jpg

I had a go with phosphoric acid, but it wasn't having much effect. So I broke out the nasty muriatic acid. This is after a clean-up (it flash rusts very quickly), and working on the pitted areas with a wire brush.

p1100360.jpg

Cleaned that mess up with the phosphoric.

p1100363.jpg

As it sits tonight (with a bit of prepsol in some places)

p1100365.jpg

I'm going to etch prime tomorrow, then see about getting the windscreen out. I still need to do the back edge above the tailgate too.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Only one 'little hole'? What lies.

p1100439.jpg

Filled up that chasm, a slightly smaller hole on the other side, and a few other bits and pieces.

p1100446.jpg

Some etch primer around the windscreen.

p1100461.jpg

Then, back to the back. This isn't too bad as I patched the worst of the rust prior to getting a WOF. There is quite a bit of pitting above the drain channel which I am filling with the MIG. Note the factory lead filling between the D-pillar and roof.

p1100465.jpg

• Like 4