Nominal's 1961 Morris Oxford Traveller

Guypie

Discuss: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/50305-guypies-1961-morris-oxford-discussion/

Ok, so I have had this thing for a while now, got it off the provider of many an oldschool ride, Zebra dude. I didnt really want to post up anything on it til I had actually got some work done since the Vauxhall Victor never got off the ground, except when I loaded it on a trailer to swap for this with Ben.

Since I have found a repair certifier who would probably have been more sympathetic to my wanting to do my own repairs, however I have come to like this car more than the Victor, mostly because wagon, and the fact I can go for a blat around the block when my motivation is low!

anywho enough word, here it is:

6aMESZ1.jpg

Progress to date to be posted shortly...

• Like 8

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I started by stripping back the roof as the paint was totally stuffed. Tried paint stripper:

sqdoN1N.jpg

This was a big ole fail. so ended up using this:

01tDlzb.jpg

It was good.

I have painted the roof with tergo blackguard for now until I can get my compressor sorted  spray it with epoxy primer, Hopefully that kills all the little rust worms that were burrowing into the steel. Dont have a pic of that as it stands.

Im starting work from the rear end as the tailgate top has been leaking and the water has run down the inside of the panels and collected in the bottoms of the rear quarters.

This is the bottom tailgate:

Ogn4VfE.jpg

Its pretty solid up the top but the bottom will need a couple of big patches. The top half of the tailgate is swiss cheese, So I have sourced another from greymouth, arrived last week.

• Like 4

Finished the welding and grinding on this quarter today. Started with the inner panel

TdaHOzK.jpg

rW2YZ2T.jpg

Ignore the writing on the panel, it wasnt 45 degree bend it was 90. Silly.

Welded a little filler in here to attach the outer panel to:

qXn9IZE.jpg

Made a step in the panel, working on making a joggler tool but need some time on the milling machine at a friends work so that will have to wait a while.

6cZ3jd7.jpg

Manually shrinking the end of the panel, shrinkers and strechers would be nice, but dont have any budget for that so will have to use hammer and chisel for now:

yslMsuW.jpg

chd2DgU.jpg

and welded it in. Didn't get too much shrinkage on the welding.

B1t7iyL.jpg

but the shrinkage from the grinding was horrific. I think I need to come up with a better technique.

c2mWFoo.jpg

ygIlcHd.jpg

iAX7b2l.jpg

So I stuck some bog on it and called it quits for the day. But there wasn't enough to fill the gap so I will probably wire brush it all out again and get some more bog. Anyone have any recommendations on body filler brand/type?

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Trucked down from Hamilton by Rod Clifton, fully loaded with spare parts.

I drove it home from his place up on SH1. Runs OK but I found the column shifted 4-speed "challenging" - more practice required.

There are now a large amount of spares on my garage floor.

We also collected the extra engine, two gear boxes, front suspension unit, towbar and some wheels this weekend while up in Cambridge for the NSRA Nats.

It's pretty solid on the whole, and a first look didn't show anything too scary, except maybe that lower tailgate.

Then...

p1090171.jpg

This is the frame crossmember that sits under the radiator.

Much carnage has ensued and now that area is mostly rust-free.

It's also metal-free which needs addressing.

The radiator was also sad so has been taken to a Barry who is doing an inspection (including the spare rad). It might end up cheaper to source a replacement from something rather than recoring the original.

Anyway, plans are to get it back on the road asap:

- Fix rust

- Check brakes/replace brakelines

- Other shit.

I now own two Morris Travellers - one with metal rot, one with wood rot.

Tell me I'm an idiot/genius

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/50305-guypies-1961-morris-oxford-discussion/

BTW I got this sight unseen and am happy that it was fairly described by Guypie.

• Like 1

Photo host is back up.

The crossmember is part of assembly that includes the splash pan behind the grille.

p1090174.jpg

There's a lot of spot welds that are inaccessible when its all assembled, so some dismantling with cut-off wheels and cold chisels ensued.

p1090203.jpg

Stage one

p1090207.jpg

• Like 1

Crossmember full of rust and crud - and holes

p1090210.jpg

After hacking it out, the passenger side 'rail' needs some work.

p1090214.jpg

Drivers side is better, appears to have more oil leaked over it - just needs a small patch, and the corner brace is still mostly there.

p1090218.jpg

Need to scratch up some 2mm sheet steel for the replacement bits.

• Like 3

Too bad that the timesheet is from Ben's L200.

Current state of play

p1090221.jpg

Drilling out spot welds isn't much fun. Have fixed one side rail and removed most of the valence pan remains. Can make too much noise late at night.

Fine enough to unload the trailer today. The lift makes a good engine crane.

p1090223.jpg

Some of the spares are in cool BMC boxes

p1090226.jpg

• Like 3

Made new bits for the rusty crossmember from 1.6mm steel.

Missed out on borrowing the folder up at Rod Clifton's so had to do it the slow, noisy way.

p1090233.jpg

Chassis punches to make the hole for the crank start tube.

p1090235.jpg

First panel done, except for trimming.

p1090236.jpg

Then made the rear face. More hammering to tip the flanges.

p1090240.jpg

• Like 3

Needed to make a mirror of this brace for the other side where it had rusted mostly away.

p1090246.jpg

Paper should be strong enough, right?

p1090247.jpg

Here's where I'm at tonight. All fits together OK. I need to flatten the front piece out a bit as it has a slight bow in it then make a hole in the rear piece for the crank start tube.

p1090249.jpg

New brace in the back.

p1090251.jpg

• Like 5

Attacked the spares pile.

p1090242.jpg

New badge, I think this is for the tailgate.

p1090244.jpg

Plenty of spare lights, mostly tatty though.

p1090243.jpg

Bits in the middle are new front suspension uprights and pins. There's a new generator armature and some gennie Lucas brushes there too.

p1090253.jpg.

I think I'll drop off the main part of the front valence to the dip-strip man in Tawa, as it won't ever be any easier to get it cleaned off.

Also need more 18g steel - might have to order a sheet.

• Like 2

Going to leave the welding on the front bit until I've acquired some epoxy primer, and also finished the valence which is at the strippers.

There must have been a battery incident in the past because there were some holes in the inner guard behind it.

Metal is a bit thin, but I got it non-holey at least.

p1090273.jpg

Check out the inner guard area on the passenger side.

p1090275.jpg

The area between the floor and the sill wasn't so good though.

p1090276.jpg

So, cutting time....

p1090291.jpg

I'm only going as far as necessary to remove the really bad bits. Time for some new metal now....

• Like 5

The under floor structure has new metal now.

p1090298.jpg

Including the inner vertical parts of the sill.

p1090300.jpg

Next is the outer part of the sill, including a curvy bit that goes under the front guard, and the lower bit of the guard itself.

There were replacement sills in the spares pile, but I'll just make new parts for now.

Looked a bit more closely at the drivers side, and I think it needs a similar operation, along with a bit of the floorpan done too.

• Like 4

This is continuing to chew time.

The better of the two radiators fixed up. Got quoted about $700 for a recore!

p1090321.jpg

Sprayed cavity wax inside the sill and closed box section before welding the cover in place. I'll spray more into this area through a vent hole later but I wanted to get it into the middle of the sill length while it was open. Messy stuff, and had to be careful not to get it too hot/on fire when welding.

p1090322.jpg

Not vinegar:

p1090329.jpg

but cleaned up the part well.

p1090330.jpg

Front valence back from the dip stripping. Note the misplaced spot weld right in the middle. British quality!

p1090331.jpg

• Like 5