Yoeddynz's 1975 Datto 120Y wagon restoration.

maddat

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah- Im pretty damn stoked!!! I used to always wonder what become of this little car but always thought it would have just returned to ground as old Jap cars do best. The plan is to get it back to my parents and see if they enjoy driving it. I think the lack of power steering might be tough but its probably not that bad. Im going to go check it out later this week and sort out getting it home.

Mum is going to keep looking for more old photos of it and I'll post them up if people like it. I like old period car photos and so happy mum took plenty.

• Like 2

Thats pretty rad to find a vehicle your olds once owned! we have a similar story in my family, the old man saw a chev corvair on TM that brought back memories of the one my grandfather had when they first moved out, he somehow tracked it down and even better managed to buy it! here it is tucked away waiting on hefty rust repairs but the effort for that history will make it worthwhile.

scw4e5pz.h4h.jpg

I must show him this thread for motivation!

• Like 3

Man, you're a cute kid.. what happened?

Would be cool for your olds, specially since you restored it.. would like to that for my old man but all the cars he had when we were kids are fairly expensive now, even for pos examples

My old man would flip his lid in joy if I could find a replacement '59 Impala sedan for him that wasn't exorbitantly expensive.

You wanted to know about the mk4...

Well it's still rego'd ran out of wof in august. Lives in rangiora. Funny thing is, that in 2006 it got new plates, then had a set of personalised plates, then went back to the origional plates. But it's only changed hands to the new owner in April this year..

• Like 3

4x114.3 which is nice. I have a mint hood lining still in my parts car also. 

Awesome- will check out state of car this week. Mum used to smoke like a train (as dis most parents of shits like me in the 70's?) so headlining is probably stained. Plus many a labrador shaking its freshly found fish carcass wet hair stench all over the inside. I bet the roof gutters are rotted out from the inside.

4x114.3 is the pcd. If you do go a15 theres a hyundai fuel injecton manifold which just about lines up as an idea for future upgrades?? (thats if you dont just build your own obviously!!)

haha beaten to it ^^^

Could be a setup to look at for my Viva?

Man, you're a cute kid.. what happened?

I grew up, aged gracefully and turned into a sort of Gerorge Clooney/Brad pitt/Pearce Brosnan mix of man. Maybe a hint of Neanderthal thrown in for good measure.

You wanted to know about the mk4...

Well it's still rego'd ran out of wof in august. Lives in rangiora. Funny thing is, that in 2006 it got new plates, then had a set of personalised plates, then went back to the origional plates. But it's only changed hands to the new owner in April this year..

Oh sweet! Im pretty sure Dad sold it to someone in CHch. I heard a few years back that it was often seen in various shows/meets down there. Was a choice old car. Black leather and Essex v6. Yeah man.

• Like 1

ONe of us, one of us, one of us, one of us, one of us, one of us...........

If there's anything you're needing Alex, sing out. 

If you upgrade to 13" alloys, there is a very easy brake upgrade which will make it stop like a champ. (Assuming it has disc brake struts?)
I have an A15 (if you want?) that you can have for what it owes me. 

The water soluble nature of datsuns will be no match for your gifts at de-rusting cars. 
We'll have to find you a factory B120 tacho for it too. 
Oh yes, we're going to have lots of fun.....................

• Like 2

ONe of us, one of us, one of us, one of us, one of us, one of us...........

If there's anything you're needing Alex, sing out. 

If you upgrade to 13" alloys, there is a very easy brake upgrade which will make it stop like a champ. (Assuming it has disc brake struts?)

I have an A15 (if you want?) that you can have for what it owes me. 

The water soluble nature of datsuns will be no match for your gifts at de-rusting cars. 

We'll have to find you a factory B120 tacho for it too. 

Oh yes, we're going to have lots of fun.....................

Ha ha - I was waiting expectantly till you would see the thread Bart. I eeven almost rang you with the good news. YES! it is going to be fun times indeed. I wont keep it completly stock so it will get some mods. Im not sure on what I can get away with come re-vin time but Im sure i can sneak extra big discs on with out them noticing. Is there a chance this could have drums on the front though??! Shame if so but Im sure plenty of struts out there to swap over with. Id like an A15 with a 5 speed box if possible to make it a bit more usable but I know the guys at the vtnz I would go to for revin would spot the larger engine. What about going up to a a14? Are they just a bored out a12? Or are a14s a longer stroked a12? Is there much physical size differences between the lot or can one hide the swap easily? All these questions are very relevant for my HB rustwagon because IM still quite keen on a datto swap for that as well.