Wheel offsets

crownin round

Ok so legally you can run upto 20% negative offset on a wheel so say -40 or -45 for an 8j or 9j wheel. Which would leave you with say 5 inch outer lips giving lots of dish and availability of tyres why is this not done more.

I know to get this offset you need a low ofset narrow wheel as a starting point if widening the outer lip. But could you use day a rim with a 3 inch outer lip and split that off and use as an inner lip and get say 5.5 inch lips giving you around negative 1.5 inch or -37.5 offset in a 9 inch rim and then you can have legal tyres. Any reasons this wouldn't work or is stupid

The wheel has a different shape on the outside(?) edge, to allow the tire to get on and off.

If you use two inner halves of a wheel, it's next to impossible to put tires on.

It's been done before, but I think it required assembly of a three piece wheel around the tire lol. Not particularly convenient.

• Like 2

-45 offset is pretty common on 10" wide 4x4 rims

the issue on pretty much all cars this kind of offset is going to be mexipoking easily 50 to 100mm outside of the bodywork and will either require massive flares or a super narrow diff and modifying or backhalfing the chassis to make room for the wheels inside the bodywork.

both of these things do get done sometimes (check out what sheepers did to get the fitment on his crown coupe how he wanted it), just it is quite a lot of work, so usually people compromise 20-40mm less dish to so that they can squeeze them into factory wheel tubs and guards with a little persuasion rather than extensive chassis and body modification.

Sorry 20% negative offset so like 20% of total wheel width.

And the crown has a fairly narrow diff already and flares get me going when done tastefully like sheepers crown which I have read about 5 times in this last week thinking of how much of a God he is doing 2 things I want to do to my car with the r32 irs in the ra28 and bagged crown.

But could his chassis modification bar the notching have been solved by running more negative offset 9s with same dish. As his ten don't appear to have the 6-6.5 inch lips that he would have with minus 50 that he could legally run. I'm not sure what tyres he's running but Im guessing they aren't legal.

• Like 1

What's the goal here, to get a car certed?

If so, you also need to consider the following issues at the same time.

-Is modified wheel itself going to be certable? (Not sure on rules here)

-Are you going to be able to acheive your goals within cert camber specs? (Ie little or no negative camber)

-Is there a tire available which you can run on a 9" wheel, is it legal, and will it fit?

Generally it seems the hard part is getting a decent sized wheel and tire combo up the front of the car.

Even if you shorten the diff or whatever, and get some mega dish on the back. It might look weird if there's a much less dishy wheel up front because of space constraints.

Yes that is the goal.

Legal tire for 14x9 is a 225/40r14 toyo t1r.

Legal tire (but not for long apparently) for 14x8 is the 195/45r14 falken ze912 (same sidewall height as 225/40r14 conveniently if running staggered wheels)

Wheels are certifiable as long as they are of sound construction and total offset positive or negative does not exceed 20% of the wheel width so about 40 for 8j wheels and 45 for 9j wheels.

Will likely run flares anyway so fitting under guards not a huge issue as they will be setup to fit and allow full movement also low profile tyres help as they have less to come in contact with.

Would actually prefer 8j but with these falkens changing there spec sheet id want to build on a better resource.

Mainly i would have thought this would be a better option tan say fitting 10j and 11j wheels that will never be able to be legal.

• Like 1