flymo velobike

Steelies

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As rookie mentioned in other thread, decomp would be sweet.

Could be related to an issue the old Suzuki GS's had where the ignition is too advanced for the slow cranking speed, sometimes ignition would occur too early and the crank would reverse direction causing damage. I guess there might not be an easy way to retard the ignition for starting purposes though

hhhmmm, yes. it's factory magic box ignition, i think the only way to adjust is to move the fly on the crank or move the coil which is bolted to the barrel casting. blech.

apparently these motors love to move the flywheel.

ah yeah i see about the slow cranking, it got a bit dicey trying to pull the handle faster, but only for one cycle.. to try and avoid full blown pull-to-stop on the second cycle. and the sound of starter bits falling through the casing. then they all stuck to the magnets and jammed shit up haha.

fashioned recoil starter guts, of sorts, out of al plate and screws. fingers crossed.

you're forgetting the other veloshit option rookie - keep fixing it and trying till you know how to do it gooder. managed to get a starting procedure that's pretty reliable, killing the spark is such a sweet luxury, can pretty much flood the shit out of it then start with a couple pulls.

no doubt it'll pack up again as soon as it's racing time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

will vid up soon, once i've figured the best way to tape a phone to me without it videoing the sky

yup timing, seems to be right on the edge and any slip is too much. maybe a flywheel sleeve horimod is required to back it off a touch. but runs great currently. definitely a mid-range llama curve

66kph on the burgerring test track, and super wobbly. must have used up all the rake in the other bikes cos this one seems to not have enough.  it loves throwing chains and mincing stuff whenever i take it to the drome, got a 5 metre ride on friday, full jam-up and went home to pull the gear hub apart.