flymo velobike

Steelies

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ah good shit! it's bog standard coaster brake hub, minus brake arm. i pull old sprockets off 10spd crank sets, bore the centre and put 3 blobs of weld to suit the hub input drive thingy. have a 46t ready to go if you'd like it.

have also in the past just mangled the centre out of a sprocket and welded it to the side of the original 18t driver on the hub. slowly building a pile of spare tip shop wheels in case of failure haha. 2 second swap out

bahahaha! i've been looking for a flymo nod actually, so now i have to make sweet orange plastic skirts. aero etc?

got tank sealed up and outlets put in, tank/shifter mounts on. just need a frayed bungy cord to secure the tank appropriately

weighed up at 22kg minus motor internals and some levers and stuff. so maybe 25-30 at the end? holds 1.5l of juice

just sort of assumed similar speeds to the villiers. could only get to 4th or 5th gear on that thing, mathsed maybe 7th gear on this, given all the reduction changes. Kirk got his tecumseh to 70Kph with a belt system on a 20" steed on the beach.. so given losses in 16" sizing, gains in chain vs. belt, and a sprinkling of carb, compression, seals and conservative exh porting, first goal may as well be 70kph without dying. villiers topped out at 70 on a good day.

main goal this year is spraying one or more of the Ellis brothers with dirt, and/or forcing them into the long grass.

• Like 4

time for some of this soon. that sprocket then got the grinder treatment to get the teeth down to width, shit was way too hard to turn and i was too impatient to anneal it etc. 

IMG_32391_zpskhqqmhq8.jpg

IMG_32461_zpsu6tbvu4i.jpg

clutch mounted-ish, shifter and neutral selector thingy whatsit in place. 

starting from the motor and grouping everything as close as possible together has pretty much meant everything was too close and needed notching, hammering, cut off and moving, all over the show.   riding position wont be any different, will have to go around one knee to operate gears which, as per velobike stz, arent on the bars /cable too short so it goes there

• Like 2

haha, dont worry sam, all signs are pointing to wipeouts already. took it for a test at the velodrome carpark yesterday, as usual a lot of time pulling carb apart and then trying to find all the bits on the ground. reminds me of summer haha.

first impressions - sheit, might need to put gearshift on the handlebars, it's about as wheelie-happy as it looks. motor seems ok, a bit spluttery in places.

too rich with the filter on, see new airbox design

exhaust is loud and splattery, tick

standard clutch tests have resulted in spinning the hub axle/mincing gear change cable so that needs sorting out. it somehow also threw and jammed up the rear chain at the same time, sparks and all. for gearing comparison, the carpark was a 1st gear affair on the villiers, flymo was happy tootling around in 3rd.

111020151965_zpsqdgduxiq.jpg

IMG_3398_zpss8qovyb4.png

• Like 5

151020151968_zps4nzofjdv.jpg

151020151969_zpsgipzjyoz.jpg

ok this thing has got all the mod cons, i dont know whats going on.

heres a list to service mainly my own amazement/must be getting old

fuel on/off

choke with lever

mudguard/airbox horiness

standard handlebar foot pegs and mig-grip

try and stoppy axle spinny things on the gear hub, fingers crossed there

kill switch with keys, bishes

next is gut the meddling brake pads out of the rear wheel, new rear chain and shift cable, and more (non?) destructive testing.

• Like 3