Is this head fucked?

Sambo

So I just spent a few hours pulling the head off the Z24 in my Navara. I thought the head gasket had blown (apparently they delaminate on Z24s quite regularly), but no such luck.

This is the exhaust side of the engine:

IMG_20150906_172728_zps7k4vbe17.jpg

IMG_20150906_172740_zpsgc0rxgtc.jpg

IMG_20150906_172755_zpsvfauxo8e.jpg

IMG_20150906_172820_zpsm6x86eo8.jpg

So yeah, someone has drilled and tapped a new hole under the proper exhaust manifold stud, scoring the top of the block in the process, then spot welded some threaded rod in there. Was gunked up with some sort of gasket goo.

Is it worth having this head fixed? My thought is no, but finding Z24/2 engines at a decent price is pretty difficult.

Also the block, can that be machined out?

• Like 4

welding the head and resurfacing it seems quite reasonable. The block though, how deep is the mark? It could possibly be machined away and reassembled with a copper spacer plate.

Or not for massive compression and bad cam timing.

Take it to an Engine Reconditioner, see what they think.

• Like 2

I have seen some Oldschool repairs done (on TV and the net)that would fill the block damage pretty easily.

From.memory it was like a chain of holes that you tapped pins into then cut off and filed flat

I have seen those plug repairs used on cracks and stuff, you drill and tap a hole then thread in a cast iron bolt witch snaps off then the 2nd one is drilled into the side of that and so on.

That's definitely going to need a new sleeve in the block. They've drilled right through the protrusion of the sleeve that seals the gasket to the head!

If its dry liner they can be fucking tight to get out. Block should be ok though just built up again with knead it or similar.

Head is shagged. What's up with the white valve in cylinder 2? Looks like it's been hot

Where's hemi?