HKM400's 1976 Land Rover Series 3

HKM400

also, super sweet! so choice that you've used this as your daily the whole time! 

Pretty jelly of parabolics. Were they in when you got it or did you fit them? Worthwhile upgrade? your rear looks super jacked!

also, I was super keen on an RV8 one when looking for my 109, but I settled for a holden powered sack coz they seem to have almost as much grunt as an rv8 (don't sound as good though) and use a fair bit less gas than both the 2.2 and the rv8. 

alllllso, smack a sweet camshaft in your v8 before you fit it up. there's some buick that you can buy the cams to suit off summit racing and places like that for nix and they liven them up nicely. 

Man, if you actually go ahead with the rv8 you have to put efi on it; the Lucas dizzy with SU carbs pretty much guarantee it'll never run properly. Do yourself a favour from the start. Something as simple as a microsquirt, 36-1 toothed wheel with a hall effect sensor, and a gm tbi throttle body would do you nicely. You would probably save the money in fuel savings along let alone as call outs haha

• Like 1

^ Does 3.54 diff swap make them super pooze in low range and make the handbrake even dicier than it is and all that kind of stuff though?

I'm pondering whether to go down that route with my s2a, or shell out for a fairey o/d.

It worked perfect for me, mine had 3.3l Nissan diesel in it so was screaming its tits off at 75k with stock box/diff. Conversion allowed to cruise at ~90k fine. For towing heavier loads the clutch did appreciate it if I had it in low box though

• Like 1

Man, if you actually go ahead with the rv8 you have to put efi on it; the Lucas dizzy with SU carbs pretty much guarantee it'll never run properly. Do yourself a favour from the start. Something as simple as a microsquirt, 36-1 toothed wheel with a hall effect sensor, and a gm tbi throttle body would do you nicely. You would probably save the money in fuel savings along let alone as call outs haha

Why does SU and Lucas points dizzy mean it'll never run properly?

The distributors aren't really a big issue on these except for maybe waterproofing when it comes to a 4wding sense. Carbs aren't difficult to sort out either. If you can't get something running nice on points and SUs or Strommys then you need to rethink whether you should be twiddling spanners on old cars.

for dizzy if you're hating the stock lucas item then a mallory HEI dizzy or a 123ignition dizzy  = sorted.

Stock disco electronic is an option too but if you're messing round in rivers then it doesn;t help the wet running issues (dem fans love chucking water alllll over the dizzy)

don't need no trigger wheel horse shit on these things mang.

if you wanted to go injection then Discovery inlet manifold and most of the bits would have you cheesing for bugger all outlay. there's plenty of rotten discoverys out there at the moment. the lucas injection systems on disco 1s aren't hard to seperate to an engine loom and aren't too bad in a reliability sense. 

I've followed a fair few series and deefer build using MS and it seems that they all have horrific issues running them offroad when it comes to changing altitudes and low speed running etc. Pretty needless for something like an old landy when you can get good results from the stock stuff.

• Like 3

It worked perfect for me, mine had 3.3l Nissan diesel in it so was screaming its tits off at 75k with stock box/diff. Conversion allowed to cruise at ~90k fine. For towing heavier loads the clutch did appreciate it if I had it in low box though

chur. yeah I shal re-evaluate once I get my thing running nicely and on the road. Drove it to work today and you definitely could do with a higher cruise speed in these things hah

Lol Dolan, everything you said was stuck in the stone age. The whole idea is to get rid of as much Lucas as possible.

Carbs suck, it doesn't matter what type they are, they are just inferior. Having your fuel decided by a hole in some metal sure sounds like an accurate way to do it to me... if you care about looks a factory looking air cleaner will disguise a tbi throttle and make it look sweet.

Buying a dizzy of another sort is just as dumb, why have a mechanical part which wears out when you can have the total reliability of wasted spark for the same cost?

Step up your game Dolan, you are becoming a Barry hahaha.

Cheers for the comments guys, as for the parabolics I bought them from rocky mountain in the UK, it did jack the car up a fair bit but the old elliptical jobs were pretty saggy to start with. They were supplied with shocks too but I didn't care for them much, seemed way too hard so I swapped them out for some others to try get the rate down. Still bloody hard riding though unless I put a few of the old wheels in the back or it's towing a trailer. 

As for the carbs in the interim stages of the build I'll probably just run it with them to get it started. Had a suggestion from governor sam about fitting a new manifold and a 4 barrel holly for ease of tuning and more efficient.... fuel injection is like a dark art to me but would be keen to give it a crack. 

It was once said that god stated let there be light, and there was, but the electrics were supplied by Mr Lucas and they died later that day 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@Sunbeam just recalled, few years ago someone borrowed the 2a mentioned earlier in the thread and took his kids down a dirt road, they were sitting in the back, rear door flew open and one of them fell out. Luckily they bounced and were fine. Naturally old Land Rover wasn’t going all that fast 

• Haha 1