Bwarp's 1972 Hillman Hunter

M Night Shamalayan

It's weird, other manual cars I've owned have had a stopper on a thread that you could wind in and out to adjust where the clutch pedal stopped. I had assumed this car would have a similar thing, but apparently not. Just the circlip that stops it. So i might have to craft something to stop it being banged out again

The circlip is more than capable of holding the piston in place in the rest position, many cars used that system.

At a guess the failure you experienced was from either incorrect initial assembly, corrosion, or (long shot) if it had been re-sleeved in brass. We re-sleeved  hundreds of them in brass at APCO Brake and Clutch in the 80's and there was the occasional failure from the circlip grove having been machined too deeply into the sleeve, ( the sleeve would fracture under the grove).  

With older hydraulics rather than trying to rather than trying to buy a "kit", strip the unit  and find a good brake parts supplier that can match the parts. The Hunter "tin can" clutch master cylinder is a very simple unit and only has two critical seals.

I'm Auckland based (Wellington has too many Politicians and too few businessmen for my liking) so can't recommend a local supplier but if you get stuck let me know and I can probably sort the parts out for you from up here.  

• Like 2

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, that is awesome info. Thank you so much. We've got a couple of brake places around so I'll go for a sniff and see what i can come up with.

my pleasure mate, take the clutch master cylinder body with you to the brake shop and ask the guy to give it a quick hone while you wait. (The steel bores are more susceptible to corrosion than alloy ones but hone up well).

I've heard good things about theses guys in NSW (they sold a lot of grunters in Ozz), I've been buying a lot of parts from Aussi for my latest project and it's often easier and faster than sourcing them in NZ.

http://www.southernhemimedia.com/index.html

• Like 1

This  build thread is underwhelming :P Put an RB in it, bolts right in etc.

Glad you got it sorted though (Y) Been casually looking out for some 4x108 wheels to see if anything popped up, nothing so far.

Looks super cool, cant wait to see it in person so we can compare how much oils we leak. Need to try find you one of those old sunglasses windshield cover thing (Those cardboard foldable things)

i have a very soft squishy spot for hunters, my old man had one when i was about 9...

then i had a 69 hunter as my first car, rolled it, got a 72 roller, never swapped bits over, gave up..

still have the haynes manual here for it..

so if anyone needs a haynes for a hunter  :study:

• 4 weeks later...

I have tried that but the nut is one of those ones with a flange bit thing built in, so it's hard to push the screw driver against the side to hold it down haha. Might have to have another go at it.

Jam harder you vegan.

Once I've got it out, my next issue will be how do i put the seat back in properly

Fix up the metal and rivnut.
  • Like 1