I dont even know what to start looking at to fix this car haha.

it was missing haaaaard under load once it warmed up. when it was cold, it seemed fine. but now its cold and it wont start at all.

while i was looking for what could be wrong i found a few things i managed to fix immediately. High stop light has never worked. This was because it was unplugged. so i plugged it back in and now it appears to work again.

Alternator is also missing a nut on one of the fixing bolts, so i can fix that at some point too.

a wire on the top of the alternator has snapped off, and none of my haynes/gregorys manuals have any reference to an alternator that has the weird random wire on the top. i reconnected it with insulkation tape, but it's not starting still. its just a random skinny blue wire.

I pulled all the plugs out and cleaned them up, they appear to be OK, but i might nip down to ripco and get s'more fresh ones. they're a bit black and sooty.

i pulled the cap thing with the leads off, and "inspected" it then realise i have nfi what i was looking at. heh.

i bought some parts to service a Lucas 25D distributor.

Full kit including Cap, Rotor, condenser, points and HT lead off the classic parts guy on trademe for $35....

I tried a local auto parts chain store and they wanted $55 for the cap, and $47 for the rotor....  :shock:

sadly not rolling for this weekend, but will be rolling soon anyway.

Next on the list is tyres....

current size is old school 165R13 which is apparently converted to 165/75R13. or miiight try get some 175/70R13 on.

prob gonna take the weird chrome trim insert off the wheel and leave the chrome centre cap and paint the factory steel wheel a colour that isn't rust.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pikchurless update:

I sold a large dog crate to an old feller in titahi bay this week. When I opened the garage he exclaimed "is that a HUNTER?!?"

"Indeed it is" I proudly responded.

"Mate, I used to assemble these for Todd motors back when I was a student. I was on the tyre machine, fitting tyres to all the wheels".

So more than likely, he fitted the very first set of tyres my car had on it back in nineteen seventy two.

Spooky.

• Like 9

Had a good drive to monthly meet last night.

New cap n rotor seems to have improved performance. Idles nicer and I can drive it with the choke right off now. Might be placebo effect but meh, love driving this car again, bring on summer. Its prob worthy of an OS sticker now I've owned it for a year haha

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's started frothing out of the coolant overflow pipe and leaves a small puddle on the ground after its been driving.

Gonna check a couple of simple things first, like a new radiator cap and some fresh coolant and see if that helps. It appears to only have started after i topped up the coolant level with water, so perhaps i just over filled it?

I also regreased the front wheel bearings today, there was a bit of play in the front wheels so i pulled it apart and regreased it - bearings seemed sweet as on my eye-o-meter. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to pull the front hubs apart too. haha. 

It's got a horrendous brake shudder too, I was braking from highway speed (90kph) and the steering wheel shook left to right soooo hard i nearly lost grip of the wheel. Forum user 666DAN asked around some shops for me today but it seems nobody in NZ can source them new, so more research required to find some fresh rotors, as these ones (especially drivers side) seem warped as fuckery.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well I've put a few miles on this over summer. 

Time to sell up.

Interior in great knick. Mechanically awesome - just had it at old man's work shop as i thought it was knocking, turns out it just needed tappets resetting hah. Paint is a bit rough on roof, but most importantly there's no hideous bits of rust. 

Comes with a boot load of spares (brakes, shocks, hubs, bumpers, lights, trim etc) 

If anyone is interested, hit me up.

Xox

• Like 1