kdotlowe

Honda CL175 from hell.

Recommended Posts

Making a start on the part that I've been dreading most - wiring. I've never scratch built a loom before so I'm still getting my head around understanding the original wiring diagram and creating my own to suit my needs. 

59fcf73dbd91d_Photo4-11-17115431AM.jpg.7544466b7fd55a93090f407ddcdd070c.jpg

These old Honda Twins have pretty shitty charging systems that only charge above a certain RPM or when the headlights are on (I think). Decided to change out the rectifier to a rectifier/regulator which will allow the battery to be charging at all RPMs. $11 unit from a lawnmower which is a common upgrade on these 175s. Just need to bridge 2 wires and then it will plug n play just like the old one!

59fcf73f88119_Photo4-11-17115440AM.jpg.17a594df3335e725d68e1c86a1a6fbda.jpg

Starting to mock up an electronics tray to keep everything tidy. Making sure everything fits. Still need to fit a flasher relay in there, but I'll make it work. The standard loom only had one main fuse but I'm going to run the ignition/lighting/main/aux all of their own fuse.

59fcf74155797_Photo4-11-17115513AM.jpg.5ac4e8a604c08a333053970c6845dbf1.jpg

59fcf7431a401_Photo4-11-17120006PM.jpg.366d81da888c841cf01109de5079012b.jpg

59fcf74538258_Photo4-11-17120117PM.jpg.2f92e3c45fde7a17eafeb3d37032ba80.jpg

Mint! Now to make it out of sheet metal. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New bits! Including possibly the tiniest switch block ever. Not sure how to wire up the ridiculously small wires or if they'll even handle the right amperage. :|

But hey. They look good.

59fff8f1777a3_Photo6-11-1764612PM.jpg.340063b6331591a2f3310942e486dfcb.jpg

59fff8f27859b_Photo6-11-1764640PM.jpg.61cb66a9ebf77897d2aca74e86d4da7f.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice looking switchgear!

 

I'm dealing with tiny gauge wires on switches too, I think I'm just going to add relays to everything as I really don't want to run headlights etc through them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Raizer said:

Nice looking switchgear!

 

I'm dealing with tiny gauge wires on switches too, I think I'm just going to add relays to everything as I really don't want to run headlights etc through them.

Yeah looking at it last night, I think this will be my only option also. Relay for horn and highbeam, and have the main headlight switch on with ignition. LED indicators should be sweet through the switches I think. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good idea with the led indicators, as long as you're running them on a DC circuit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bike is looking rad dude!

Also, I've got those same mini switch clusters (from Modern Motorcycle Company?), and I've run everything through them without relays and they seem to be holding up fine. All of my bulbs are LED but the horn and kill switch would draw plenty of current. Everything still seems to be sweet! 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Honda has same equally as bad charging system but after changing over to the new reg/rectifier and LEDs (brakes, dials, park light) I can drive round with the headlight on 100% of the time without the battery going flat. Definitely worth doing. 

Are you running the 35w headlight? Mine still does, its not great, thinking of switching to 55w but again back to power issues. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2017 at 16:42, z18et1200coupe said:

Bike is looking rad dude!

Also, I've got those same mini switch clusters (from Modern Motorcycle Company?), and I've run everything through them without relays and they seem to be holding up fine. All of my bulbs are LED but the horn and kill switch would draw plenty of current. Everything still seems to be sweet! 

 

Yeah mine are from MMC also. That's good to know! Did you use the same gauge wire to run to the lighting? Or did you step up to a larger one? The wires are tiny!

20 hours ago, Abarth said:

My Honda has same equally as bad charging system but after changing over to the new reg/rectifier and LEDs (brakes, dials, park light) I can drive round with the headlight on 100% of the time without the battery going flat. Definitely worth doing. 

Are you running the 35w headlight? Mine still does, its not great, thinking of switching to 55w but again back to power issues. 

Rad. That's the result I'm hoping for. Haven't actually received my headlight yet... I think it's a 55w one however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now