Honda CL175 from hell.

kdotlowe

Top tip for doing wrap is coat your arms and hands with talcum powder.

The fine granules fill your pores stopping the fibreglass strands from hooking in there which is the cause of the itch.

Works great for doing house insulation too

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, HighLUX said:

The fine granules fill your pores stopping the fibreglass strands from hooking in there which is the cause of the itch.

Genius! I'll give this a whirl next time I have to attempt it! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 21:19, HighLUX said:

Interesting.
I use KY jelly when pulling cables thru bars etc, cos it's water based and doesn't affect insulation. Have also used hair spray to install grips, as slides on wet and it dries tacky.
Just had vision of burly blokes buying talcum powder, hair spray and KY at supermarket for their bike projects... :grin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, kdotlowe said:

New cables arrived and seem to fit all good. Also got a set of these badboys. Essentially Motogadget knockoffs - definitely the nicest made product I've ever purchased off Ali! 

Do you have the link available for these?

Out of curiosity - how will you run the buttons?
Lets say for example, the left side..
Top button = left indicator - press again and it's off
Bottom button = Right indicator - pretty again for off

What about the other side?
You will need high beam, pass, horn, engine on, engine start

So much cleaner with the small controls but keen to hear the logistics of running these
chur 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kseries.rookie said:

Do you have the link available for these?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CNC-Momentary-Latching-Switch-Aluminium-Alloy-Switch-Motorcycle-Cafe-Race-Handle-Grips-Reset-Buttons-For-Honda/32844235133.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5fb84c4dskXaG1

They're not cheap! You can also choose latching or momentary buttons when you purchase. I'm using momentary to work alongside an M-Unit. 

And good question. I will be using a Motogadget M-Unit to wire the motorcycle which takes care of most of the below functions. 

Here's an idea on how I think will run them. 

Left side
Top button: Left indicator. Press to start, press to stop. Will time out after 30sec.
Bottom button: Horn.
Back button: M-Unit Config.

Right side
Top button: Right indicator. Press to start, press to stop. Will time out after 30sec.
Bottom button: Headlight. Always on. Tap to flash highbeam, hold down to turn on highbeam. Hold down longer to turn headlight off. 
Back button: Not assigned as of yet. Maybe electric starter if I decide to get that working or a momentary kill switch.

Hope that all makes sense! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Crystal clear. I did wonder if you were going to run the m-unit along side the buttons.
I love the simplicity of their stuff. Not in terms of wiring cause fook dat, but such a smart simple device. I like the time out of the indicators but 30 seconds might feel like a lifetime?

Those buttons aren't too bad, especially concidering the OG motogadget ones have a heavier price tag.
I love the M-Lock. I saw a bloke put the little cylinder thing inside a guitar AUX type plug and then the female side on the top yoke. He would push in the plug into the female side and that would effectively be his key. Does that make sense? So genius and such a cool little custom modification  

Im eager/excited to see the whole process with the wiring and all
Keep us posted :cyclopsani:

• Like 1

I agree, 30 seconds is ridiculously long. I forget to turn my indicators off half the time anyway haha. 

I don't currently have a solid harness so wiring one with the M-Unit should be more straight forward. Inputs in one side, outputs on the other. And it's even easier if you run the M-Button. It's just the price which is a bit hard to swallow! 

I'm running a Badlands flasher module on the ironhead that times out after 11 secs. This is fine for normal turns but sucks when you're at an intersection and you have to keep hitting button. I'd rather have no timer but 30 seems a good compromise, long enough to let you sit a while, yet turns off if you forget...

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Chris.QCR said:

Im using a Ultima wiring harness unit on the Ironhead. Made life pretty simple for a guy who hates wiring. Also using Modern Motorcycle Company micro switches on the bars with internal bar wiring for that clean look

Awesome, might look into the wiring harness! Yeah I've actually got a set of the MMC switches. They just don't fit very well on my bars because of how much horizontal space I have before the bar bend.

1 minute ago, AllTorque said:

Looks good. Can you still pull the brake lever in all the way?

Sure can. It's hard to see from that angle, but the end of the lever bottoms out on the grip. It actually clears that back button by a few millimetres. 

• Like 1

Installed the carbs today. She's really coming together. Not to much to do now

• Purchase and install M-Unit + finish wiring.
  • Fabricate a number plate bracket and rear indicator mounts. 
  • Install tachometer blanking plug. 
  • Maybe purchase new tires (I'm wanting something dual sport). 
  • Fill with oil, set points and timing and start her up! 

985581183_Photo21-04-1985443PM.thumb.jpg.279153c7c78e691bd8768729019fe314.jpg

721252693_Photo21-04-1990954PM.thumb.jpg.32fa57edc0293778102b0eaa66007cee.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...