Honda CL175 from hell.

kdotlowe

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been meaning to sodablast & paint the engine but the weather has been rubbish lately. Started tearing down the bike some more instead and am going to chip away at all the small jobs. Stripped the front forks today, mainly to just see what sort of condition they were in & to paint the lowers.

They were mint inside. Seals were good & fork oil was clean. 

BvN7Soi.jpg?1

HPS9eE5.jpg?1

I swear by this stuff.

tfsAqmB.jpg?1

• Like 1

So I've gotten pretty carried away. Current state:

X5OLc7z.jpg?1

pGFtddN.jpg?1

Stripped completely down to the frame to prepare for some fabrication work. Planning on making a rear hoop, electronics tray, seat pan & de-tabbing the frame.

Also thinking of sourcing a new tank. Have found CG125 tanks reasonably cheap on Aliexpress that I quite like the shape of. I'm hoping they mount very similarly to my current tank.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Broke out the ol' Makita today & grinded off all the unnecessary crap. No more latches, helmet hooks etc. Didn't go too crazy, it's not a show bike & I'm semi lazy - but enough to tidy the frame up.

OQUvYDL.jpg?1

0joUp1i.jpg?1

edckDNx.jpg?1

3xlAyus.jpg?1

Have a friend who's going to help me bend up a rear hoop and weld that up in the coming weeks.

• Like 1

Cool bike . These old bikes sure can be a learning curve  and if your starting to loose heart have a look at what the pomms pay for them now ( classic bike mag ) , I reckon NZ is about 10 years behind UK classic bike prices . The kickstarter is a bummer , you'd probly find that its been a bastard to start for years ( carbs ? )  and the shaft has just fatigued . Have a good look at the sprag clutch ( or whatever one -way drive device is) behind the flywheel , probly find issues there  and this will be why the chain and sprocket have been removed.

Hamish

• Like 1

Cool bike . These old bikes sure can be a learning curve  and if your starting to loose heart have a look at what the pomms pay for them now ( classic bike mag ) , I reckon NZ is about 10 years behind UK classic bike prices . The kickstarter is a bummer , you'd probly find that its been a bastard to start for years ( carbs ? )  and the shaft has just fatigued . Have a good look at the sprag clutch ( or whatever one -way drive device is) behind the flywheel , probly find issues there  and this will be why the chain and sprocket have been removed.

Hamish

Yeah that would make complete sense! New shaft is in now so we should be all okay!

Definitely glad I bought the bike when I did. Not losing heart, just a slow & steady build :)

• 2 weeks later...

New tank arrived from AliExpress. Actually really surprised at how well this thing is made. Not bad for less than $200 landed. 

Will have to swap the petcock's side so my fuel lines don't run next to my scrambler pipes, but other than that, it looks pretty damn good!

N595PtM.jpg?1

Gqzxg9F.jpg?1

• Like 5

Was really hoping the tank would fit onto the existing mounts - or the front ones at least. Definitely pushing my luck. Doesn't line up with anything & is significantly longer than the original tank. Nothing too major though, will need to move the front mounts back about 60mm and everything else will work out from there. 

Rough mock up of how the tank will look. Not really sitting straight, but gives a good idea. Really like the shape of this tank on the small frame.

dQsQwZw.jpg?1

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Frame's all welded. Mocked up a seat pan. It's a really odd shape to make up for the fact that the rear of my frame transitions from stamped to tubular steel. Might have to make it slightly deeper so I have a flat seat line.

gYePnjA.jpg?1

Need to mount my tank before I go too far with the seat pan however.

• 4 weeks later...