AALAWS

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

With looking at the photo of the caliper

it appears that it has rust under the seal but the rust on the top ridge isnt a huge issue as it only holds the moisture boot 

best bet would be to get it bead blasted then see how bad the pitting is on the metal but would most likely be fine

i would say that the caliper piston has rust on it so would require a new one 

but you need a caliper rebuild kit anyway.

would also recomend doing the rebuild yourself as saves abit $$

plus they are not hard to do.

• Like 1

With looking at the photo of the caliper

it appears that it has rust under the seal but the rust on the top ridge isnt a huge issue as it only holds the moisture boot 

best bet would be to get it bead blasted then see how bad the pitting is on the metal but would most likely be fine

i would say that the caliper piston has rust on it so would require a new one 

but you need a caliper rebuild kit anyway.

would also recomend doing the rebuild yourself as saves abit $$

plus they are not hard to do.

Yo - thanks for the input!

Yeah i'll be dropping them off to be bead blasted tomorrow to get rid of that remaining rust. The pistons have come up mint with a gentle wire wheel so happy with that.

Re: the rebuild kit.....I have the toyota one, but stumbled onto a european outfit that reconditions calipers, and they look like a big operation.

http://www.budweg.com/product/details/341467?carId=23001

They have capped off the missing part but only sell their bits in bulk units so I'm on the charm offensive to see if I can pull a sneaky delivery :)

so the brake place in Hamilton refused the job.......a) no tool to remove the rear handbrake bracket and B) after telling me on the phone they'd blast them for me, they said not unless they do the whole job.

Anyone know where I can simply get a little bit of rust removed around the top of the moisture seal??

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Otodat said:

Seems like you have got some momentum on this at the moment, good stuff keep it up

yeah mate cheers!  - got some good time in over the last wee while to order parts, plan and prepare to get it down to the panel beaters.

Do you have a press up at your place? I'll definitely be needing a hand to put in all the bearings and balljoints and gaskets etc when it all gets assembled.....

• 2 weeks later...

Getting quite a stockpile of bits there Alasdair , for paint on springs etc I have just used truck chassis paint in the past and found it ok but might be a bit rough for what your going for. People seem to recommend por15 for under carriage bits. If your ever up in Hamilton be worth asking at autolink what they recommend  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

hey sorry i cut your lunch on that shell thought i maybe saving it from a drifter etc, having a look at yours it doesn't look bad at all, the shell i have would still need some work. am keen to see your one sometime, do they make new bumpers for these? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/20/2018 at 18:06, tenyearguarantee said:

Hey, what are the front seats from? I wouldnt mind a set like that for my 25

Sorry mate - long time no see........they're recaro's that I had custom skinned in a te27 style finish.
They came with the car so not 100% sure but maybe from a surf??? they have solid headrests, not the fish net style