2tg/3t hybrid

hillman1

Hey guys half way trew building g a 2tg 3t hybrid just not shore what pistions to use have searched the net but on flicking Info iv got complete 2tg and 3tb motors so just need to know if I can use the 2tg pistions on the 3tb rods or will I need to get the 3tb pistions fly cut to suit the 2tg head? Also are the standard 2tgeu injectors still alright tk be used or will I need to go bigger?

10 years ago a few mates put a 2tg head on a 3tgte. They didn't even take the motor out. Just sanded the top of the block clean, chucked a new head gasket on and bolted the 2tg head on.

t3 from a single turbo 300zx and it was a weapon.

The 2TG head onto the 3T block with the 2TG pistons/rods swapped is known to work. Same bore 85mm, different crank stroke (70 vs 78mm). Not sure if the 3T valve cutouts are the same in the pistons but it could possibly be.

The 3T blocks are known to have better clearances for the longer stroke crank, trying to fit the 3T crank into a 2T block needs material ground out. 3T blocks are also known to have better cylinder wall thickness and have been bored to 89mm.

89mm pistons, 78mm 3T crank gives you a "1950cc" (1940cc) motor that revs nicely.

These pistons indicate 2TG & 3T are same but i think these are radically modified for the 89mm bore

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-3TC-2TG-1-375-CH-Wiseco-Piston-Set-K508M89-/191512424722

EDIT: You MUST use a 2TG/3TGTE oil pump with the twin cam heads too - the oil pressure is always low with the single cam pump in a twin cam motor

• Like 1

iv built a few of these, (one in the build at the mo) early 2tgs need the block ground to clear the crank/rods, late ones dont, there are several different types of head, the best head has a smaller combustion chamber and needs the pistons machined to have an offset dome to fit, use the 3t rods and pistons, the pistons need to be fly cut, in saying that all the ones iv built have had big cams so more lift means more flycut, if using the 3t block you have to block off the oil gallery to the rear cam bearings. dont fuck around with the factory injection its shit, crappy vane a/f/meter etc, they always go better with sidedrafts. 

• Like 2